is this stuff CYA? and how much will my CYA go up?

so, I went to my local pool store and they told me to just pour all this on my pool and this would bring my CYA level. I know you cannot lower CYA by any other way except by draining your pool. So my question is: Would this bring my CYA to 100 ?
[attachment=0:krjc88wo]photo.jpeg[/attachment:krjc88wo]
The info about my pool is on my signature

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 143
It's 68% CYA. So one pound of it will raise CYA in your pool by about 14 ppm. The Na2CO3 will just about cancel out the pH change, which is probably why it's in there.

PS. Why do you want to get it to 100?

If you have no CYA in the pool, add a couple pounds of this stuff to get close to 30, and enjoy the convenience of using trichlor pucks as long as you can.

denisrenepl said:
Richard320 said:
It's 68% CYA. So one pound of it will raise CYA in your pool by about 14 ppm. The Na2CO3 will just about cancel out the pH change, which is probably why it's in there.

I am sorry I dont understand you question.. is that a good thing or a bad thing?
[youtube:14l97och]V2f-MZ2HRHQ[/youtube:14l97och]

denisrenepl said:
so... yes or no? o_O?
I answered you. That package by itself will raise the CYA level in your pool by 14 ppm.

How high that will be depends entirely on what the level is now.

pool-school/read_before_you_post
Asking for Help
When starting a thread asking for help with a specific issue please include the following in your initial post:

Test Results! Test Results! Test Results!

There is nothing more important than current valid test results. Here's what we need.

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
Borates - (if you are using borates)

Only the better kits have all of these tests, please read this article to understand why we need this information, and this one to see some test kit options. If you don't have a test kit with all of those tests, many pool stores offer water testing.

If you cannot post these results - do not ignore that fact. Tell us you cannot post test numbers. If you can post only some, tell us you cannot post the others or we'll ask if you forgot.

Nothing will help us solve your water chemistry issues quicker than current test results.

I suggest you start reading through Pool School a few times, order a test kit, and learn to use the poolcalculator. You will soon be able to actually maintain your pool correctly.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

last time I check (by bringing a sample of water to the store) the cya was 0
... I am sorry, I read those manuals that you guys have (pool school and so on) but they got me even more confused. I wish it was just like: put a cup of chlorine every day or something like. I hate that stupid pool, is not even mine, I just have to keep clean

With a little reading and learning (and asking questions when needed), and using a good test kit ... the maintenance does almost become: Add X amount of chlorine every 1 or 2 days.

But, we can not give advice without knowing what you are starting with. And as countless threads on the forum will show, pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and non-repeatable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What Richard is trying to tell you but won't actually tell you :) is that, yes you need CYA in your pool, but you don't need it to a level of 100. Raise it to 30 or 40. To do this you first need to know how much CYA is in your pool now. That requires a test which you have already had done at a pool store. That's all you have to go by now, but pool store readings are notoriously unreliable. If you have only used bleach in this pool, then it probably is zero. But if you have used pucks, then it isn't zero. What they are also telling you is that a good test kit is a must. You HAVE to have a good test kit to know what the levels are in your pool. Until then, everything is a guess. Order a test kit, and while you're waiting for it to arrive, read pool school. Then after you've read pool school, read it again. It becomes clearer the more you read. Trust me. I've been there.

In other words to know where you are going you first have to know where your at.....and after you read pool school a few times it will all start to make sense.....everytime i read it i learn something new. Once the water is in balance that is all there is to it just add bleach daily and test fc cc ph its that simple......Mike

Also, get the TF-100 test kit if possible. Get it from duraleigh on this site (go to http://www.tftestkits.net). He'll ship it very quickly and I bet within a month you'll have a whole new outlook on pool maintenance. Good luck!!

And tell your Mom that she won't be long getting her money back from the test kit because she can stay out of the pool stores forevermore. I get all my chemicals at the grocery store and the hardware store! I didn't step inside a pool store this summer!

Edit to add:

Looking at your signature:
Flow rate of your pump is 2500 gph
Your pool material is vinyl

If for some reason she won't go for the best test kits, read up on the HTH 6-way and seasonal pools. If you can stay on top of the pool and not get an algae outbreak you can maintain your size pool with the HTH 6-way. If you do get an outbreak then you need the better test kit or dump the water, scrub and restart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.