Closing pool - shocked it - now cloudy ..

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
: Well..we are closing our new pool for the first time. Never done this before. We installed the pool and filled momorial day and it has been crystal clear ever since using The BBB method. I stopped by the pool store for the first time yesterday and asked what I need to close the pool and sold me a kit with shock and algaecide (bioguard winter kit). I followed the directions and when I added it to the pool it turned cloudy. I got a little nervous.... Why would it turn cloudy? Is it normal?

I also have to add... I have never shocked the pool...ever. My levels were always good and was clear. :hammer:

My test readings before adding shock and algaecide

Free C.= 3
C,C - 0.5
PH. - 7.5
TA - 110
CYA- 70
Cal 170

I'm going to leave the pump on all night... Should I be doing something?

Thanks.

Geo

That FC of 3ppm is too low for your CYA level of 70ppm ... although sounds like you may have avoided the algae, but could have been close to a bloom.

I have to ask, if you had such great results following the BBB method, why on earth did you go to the pool store for closing advice? There is an article in Pool School:
pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool

All you needed to do was wait for the water to get below 60 degrees and then boost FC up toward shock level and optionally add some polyquat algaecide.

I was assuming that the "shock" was cal-hypo, but the Arctic Blue stuff is actually dichlor (adding more CYA to your already high level). So, I am not sure why it got cloudy ... unless there really was algae that is now dead and floating.

Jason,
Thank you. I only went to the pool store because we had a $50 credit from buying the pool, good for any thing on display in the show room. It was good till the end of year...so the kit was a freebie. I also wanted to pick up the air pillow. I could not wait till 60 deg water temp to close. I'm at 67 deg now, but the leaves are falling and have to get it covered or it will be a mess.

Should I be doing anything because it's cloudy? Or just keep the pump running.

rpm90001 said:
: Well..we are closing our new pool for the first time. Never done this before. We installed the pool and filled momorial day and it has been crystal clear ever since using The BBB method. I stopped by the pool store for the first time yesterday and asked what I need to close the pool and sold me a kit with shock and algaecide (bioguard winter kit). I followed the directions and when I added it to the pool it turned cloudy. I got a little nervous.... Why would it turn cloudy? Is it normal?

I also have to add... I have never shocked the pool...ever. My levels were always good and was clear. :hammer:

My test readings before adding shock and algaecide

Free C.= 3
C,C - 0.5
PH. - 7.5
TA - 110
CYA- 70
Cal 170

I'm going to leave the pump on all night... Should I be doing something?

Thanks.

Geo
New readings would be good.
follow normal shock process now...

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I bet the cloudiness is from the algaecide, but JB may be correct in that it could also be a nascent algae bloom that the high FC started killing off.

And as UWV said, a new set of test results would be good.

Not trying to be a pain but why would it matter if your pool is cloudy if you are closing the pool for the winter. Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days. The water is going to sit in the pool for 6 months with no filter or any more chemicals.

1380ken said:
Not trying to be a pain but why would it matter if your pool is cloudy if you are closing the pool for the winter. Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days. The water is going to sit in the pool for 6 months with no filter or any more chemicals.

According to what I've read here, you can indeed open to a clear pool in the spring if you follow the instructions on this website. I never knew that until I read it here!

1380ken said:
Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days.
Chlorine is consumed by two things - sunlight and organics. If you close the pool up clean, you are eliminating both of those factors from the equation. With no light under the cover and cold temperatures in the air and water, any new algae will be extremely slow to grow, and that will in turn result in a very, very slow chlorine consumption.

I have every intention of closing my clean pool in a few weeks, and then opening to a clean pool with measurable FC in the spring.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

I ran the pump all night and when I got home from work today it is back crystal clear.

Here is the new numbers

Ph 7.5
FC 13
Cc 0.5
Ta 110
Ch 180
Cya I could not do ran out of cya reagent. When I bought my kit, it leaked during shipment and lost some. Yesterday it was at 70

I know I was just closing it, but I wanted it clear before covering it. I want to do everything I can to make sure when we open it next year we will not have any issues.

Thanks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.