New member and a new pool owner

Sep 19, 2012
PA
I moved into a new house with a pool last August. Its a 18,500 gallon Roman style. Last year, we only got like a month of use out of it and had it closed. Right off the bat, the retractable safety cover came apart at the seams and cost $3500 for a new one. The company that installed it did not charge is to close it, so we closed early September. Otherwise, they charge $350 to close! I was floored by that price. Well, come spring...had the same company open it and was charged $275! They didn't even balance anything!

So here I am now getting ready to close. I've been battling a cloudy issue due to chlorine levels drop to almost nothing. Hopefully I can get it cleared up soon so I can attempt to close myself.

I learned a tremendous amount by reading from this site! Wish I found it early spring. From the knowledge I have now...I know the pool vendors pretty much care about selling chemicals to fix this and that! The reason I say this is, I found out about CYA here and I inherited a pool with extremely high CYA. 200 according to the water analysis done last week. I know high CYA does not happen overnight and I recall in the spring....I was sold a bottle of stabilizer and a huge bucket of 3" tablets(previous owner used tablets exclusively) !! The funny thing is, not one time I was told of my current stabilization numbers!

So thanks for all the tremendous knowledge here and I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions!