Bathroom/Pool Changing Area

Jul 26, 2011
I have a limited yard and have decided to move forward with a fiberglass pool - most likely Trilogy Regulus with tanning deck on one side.

Given the limitation on fenced in yard, I am planning on doing the following:

I have a walkout from my basement. Once you open the door there are (guess 10 - 12 steps) than take you up to the ground level.
I am going to dig out the area immediately after you open the door to the right and add a bathroom. This will allow my current 2 AC's to remain where they are (above this area) as well as add all the pool equipment above the bathroom (no yard area will be affected).
I can make this room as big as needed (of course not too big because having a concrete poured ceiling will add up quickly).

I was thinking of having an open concept shower/bathroom because I can only imagine all the dirt/grass/etc. that collects from kids. Of course a toilet, sink and mirror, but thinking of having it all open with a drain in the middle. Also thinking of having a hose attached inside for easy cleaning. With this thought process, the floors and walls would be a material friendly to water.

Besides people saying I'm crazy, any ideas? What am I missing, some lockers, I was also thinking a changing station for baby's (drop down changing station). Is there anywhere to go for ideas?

We have an outside bathroom by the pool but it is closed. It has a shower a toilet and a sink and mirror. I like that it is closed because we can use it as an extra shower for the house if we want.(I use it all the time) We have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet laying loose in it so we can easily change it if we like. But we don't have grass between this bathroom and the pool. We think this bathroom is really handy.

Are you saying the floor of the bathroom is going below grade?

As for the open concept - seems ok. It is likely cheaper no shower stall walls etc.

Make sure the floor is not slippery.

- Sent using Tapatalk

The bathroom will be the same level as my basement, which is a 9' ceiling. I have a full bathroom in the basement now, so same level as that.

Given this will be mostly for the pool, I was thinking easy cleanup and practical use. Not a normal layout.

panamagixxer said:
The bathroom will be the same level as my basement, which is a 9' ceiling. I have a full bathroom in the basement now, so same level as that.

Given this will be mostly for the pool, I was thinking easy cleanup and practical use. Not a normal layout.

Still confused - is the grade outside higher? If so what plans for diverting water from flowing down into the bathroom? Basement probably has special wall covering outside and is designed to divert water.

I agree the layout can be non-standard - the basic design would be utilitarian - however I'm not sure that not having some form of partition would be better than having one.

UnderWaterVanya said:
panamagixxer said:

Still confused - is the grade outside higher? If so what plans for diverting water from flowing down into the bathroom? Basement probably has special wall covering outside and is designed to divert water.

I agree the layout can be non-standard - the basic design would be utilitarian - however I'm not sure that not having some form of partition would be better than having one.

Understand the question now, grade is fine, no water in basement. In Utah, it takes a lot for that to be a problem, plus my home is up higher than others. Basement does have covering per code, but not dealing with a NJ area where I have lived before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.