Looking for 5 Gal Chlorine Carboys

arjaygee

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2011
Orange, California
I've decided to make an attempt at being just a little bit more echo friendly by buying my chlorine in refillable bulk. It's starting to bother me to have empty gallon jugs and cardboard boxes in my recycle bin every week. There are hurdles though, as always. If I choose to go the route of refillable cases of 4 1-Gal jugs, the cost per gallon is significantly higher than, say Wallmart or Home Depot throw-aways. From other threads on this site, I've become intrigued with the idea of buying 5 Gal Carboys. The problem with this is they seem to be very difficult to find in my area. The only place I've found them in Orange County/Los Angeles, CA area is Lincoln Equipment but again, pretty steep price (5 Gal -- $29).

Any other ideas on how to avoid disposal jugs while keeping the per gallon cost down??

Anybody in the Southern Cali area, know of another local place that sells carboys?

Any homebrewing (beer) or winemaking shop will carry them - although $29 is a pretty good price for a glass one. The glass carboys come from Italy, it seems, and have increased dramatically in price over the past few years.

Those same shops should also carry the Better Bottle, a HDPE alternative that is slightly less expensive and unbreakable.

Hope this helps :cheers:

Scott

Scott, we're talking two different things here. Your response would fit better on a site like beeradvocate.com, which - by the way - is another of my favorite sites but that's for a different place on a different day. I'm looking for a chemical distribution place that sells chlorine by refillable 5 gallon containers. The thought of handling a 5 gallon chlorine container is bad enough... make it a glass one and whoa! :wink:

Thanks though, I'll keep your advice in mind for my next beer batch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.