Probily a silly question.....................

GazzMan said:
is there any way i can fit a skimmer to the outside of my Intex pool, instead of using the standard skimmer that you get with it

I would say that it depends on whether your pool has the inflatable ring at the top or is the metal frame style with straight walls.

If you installed a skimmer in a wall with an inflatable ring at the top, you would need to lower the water a couple of inches so it wasn't above the top of the skimmer. The problem here is, the ring rides on the top of the water and there would be nothing to hold the wall up. The other problem here is that the wall curves. The skimmer wouldn't be level like it needs to be for best operation.

If you have a metal frame pool, I don't see why you couldn't install a standard skimmer. I've installed standard above-ground return fittings in my previous Intex pool without issue. The only thing you might want to consider is adding some additional backing support between the outside of the vinyl wall and the skimmer (maybe stiff rubber, thin plastic, or even sheet metal).

My 2 cents. For what its worth.

Tom

Wow! Never seen an Intex built into a deck. Did you cut down the ladder yourself?

Again, I haven't done it, but based on what I have done I can't see any reason why you couldn't install a normal skimmer in the wall. You could probably even provide some additional support from the deck itself. You would also need to drop the water level some. Normally you want the water level about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer.

If I was doing it, I would consider something like this:

SP1091LX.jpg

I found it here and here for a reasonable price.

Tom

TomU said:
Wow! Never seen an Intex built into a deck. Did you cut down the ladder yourself?

Tom

yes Tom, i just measured from the bottom of the pool to the deck and cut the excess off

Thx for yr help matey, ill give them a look

LULU, do it, it has given us a whole different outlook to the pool :-D :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.