Newbie Question: How to access plumbing of inground spa?

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
If (when) an in-ground spillover spa that has a concrete deck around it develops a leak in a pipe, how do you access it?

Do you pull the spa out? If so, how do you disconnect the suction/return lines?

....or are you digging up concrete?

If digging concrete, would it be better to install a concrete paver deck around the spa?

I guess my "real" question is: What is the best way to install an in-ground spillover spa to enable access to the spa plumbing?

Re: Newbie Question: How to access plumbing of inground spa

So, do you have a spa with a leak, or just trying to think ahead? Really, the only way to do it is digging. Having a paver deck does make this much simpler.

Re: Newbie Question: How to access plumbing of inground spa

Thanks for the response. I'm just trying to plan ahead. The pool deck will be pavers on top of a 3' wide concrete subdeck. I believe the concrete deck is part of the pool structure (i.e. it is required) of the vinyl pool. Digging through compacted stone is easier than cutting concrete. One issue....I'm not sure if I can adequately compact the stone base if I ran the pavers up to the spa without a concrete deck. Compacting too much would put pressure on side of spa. Perhaps one can't compact adequately....and therefore I will need to expect to reset the pavers immediately adjacent to the spa every few years. .....but that is more of a hardscape question rather than a pool question.

I think I will try to get the pool builder to minimized the amount of concrete decking around the spa. Install concrete decking that is required by the pool and leave the 1/2 of the spa that is not adjacent to the pool without the decking so that I can install pavers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.