Neighbor's house foreclosure -- pool needs bleach

gujjuman

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My neighbor has moved out in anticipation of foreclosure. Their pool has turned green and I"m sure there are some interesting things going on inside. No water flow, electricity is off.

Was considering running over there and just dumping some bleach in the water to prevent things from getting even worse...

Pls don't say test for pH or CYA :shock:

not your job to keep it clear. Get some of the mosquito dunks(?) to chuck in it to prevent them from growing ... although that may become the bank's responsibility eventually.

I see what you are getting at, you are the kinda neighbor everyone needs. That being said, I deal with real estate on the side more as a hobby. A house down the road from me was in the foreclosure limbo for atleast for 2 1/2 years befor it hit the market. In the flooded market the house has sat on the market with 2 price reductions for the last 6 months.
I hate to say it but just being concerned that you will have to keep doing it for the next year or three, Id leave it alone.
Property management might keep it up!?

I bought one of those homes, and I would have gladly paid you back for the bleach ;)

However, you may have a long haul. Do toss those mosquito dunks in there for your own health and safety.

BTW, it's likely at some future point that house will become the responsibility of Freddie Mac or fanny Mae.
Just so you know, once there's a broker assigned, Freddie Mac DOES have property management budget allocations that include reimbursement for things such as securing and closing a pool. So at that point you could put in a call to the broker and inquire about the plan to secure it. Because our property was closing in mid november, FM did agree to pay for a soft closing (eg blowing out the lines, etc., even though it was already a swamp) to mitigate any freeze damage.

If you are in FLA, and it does sound that way, the state will control the mosquito's if you geve them a call. They will either put mosquito eating minnows in the pool, or pucks, depending on if it has an enclosure. Also if you are in a development the HOA may handle it.

The tone of your messages sound like you might be concerned about the pool somehow being permanently damaged. If so, don't worry, it won't. It's completely recoverable.

See if you can make sure the pumps won't run as soon as the power comes back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were in the same boat... when we bought our house, the owner had neglected it for about three months during the escrow and the pool turned into a swamp. I actually called our county's vector control people to come out and throw some mosquito fish into the pool. I had even asked the escrow company if we could have a pool guy maintain it during the escrow and was denied. This ended up requiring a rather expensive draining and acid wash because there was so much debris in the pool, beyond just the fish and algae. Amazingly, the Whisperflo which was running through the whole affair seemed to survive the ordeal. It was rather sad to see the pool in such a state, which probably drives me to put extra care into maintaining it now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.