LED upgrade or stick with Incandescent?

Feb 23, 2011
Frisco, Tx
I am in the process of finalizing the build of my in-ground pool. My question is, should I pay the increase of $2,000 to have two main LEDs and one in the spa or stick with the single 500W incandescent main light and one in the spa? Is the LED option worth it? The builder uses the Zodiac/Jandy WaterColors LED lights.

My wife is leaning towards it. I am not sold on the upgrade.

Mike

Even if you do not get the LED now, I would suggest getting 2 lights put in the pool anyway. Much of that cost is likely just the added niche and install.

You can always upgrade later then as well. I just put an LED color changing bulb ($250) in my existing fixture. Or you could pull in a full LED fixture.

One thing about the fixtures is, if they go bad, you have to replace the whole thing. In my case, if the fixture leaks and blows the bulb, I can just throw a new seal and bulb in ... and can revert to the incandescent if I want.

That sounds way too much. I would look up on the web to see how much they are going for and ask the builder to come down to something reasonable. Look to see the cost difference between the two. There should be no difference in labor and you should be able to bargain with them. BTW - We love our led lights and makes our pool look awesome at night. I would never use regular lights again.

We just replaced our lights with Intellibrites a few weeks ago. They're amazing. We sit out there and just watch the colors..amazing.

Flippy is correct. The only difference in price should be the price of the fixtures themselves. The install is the same.

You guys are missing that fact that there is only 1 light in the pool with the incandescent and 2 in the pool with the LED ... so the $2000 includes the installation and wiring of a second niche.

I would want both niches ... and whether you put in the bulbs or LEDs is a separate decision.

Yep, I missed that, sorry. How big and what shape is the pool? You might be able to get by with just one LED in the pool. I replaced one 500W incandescent with one Intellibrite in the pool (same for the spa, except 300W). With the size of my pool, 2 niches would probably be too much.

2k sounds insane. List price for the Savi melody lights with transformer (12v LED, 5 colors that change and have modes)- includes 2 lights on 100 ft cords is $1330.00 from the distributor so your PB would be making 600+ just on the lights! Part number is Savi-MEL2PAK. Call Savi for your local distributors name and see if you can get a better deal.

The pool is going to be a freeform 31.5' x 17' sports pool with 3.5'-6'-4.5' depths with a slide at the 4.5' side. There is also a 12" raised spa at the 3.5' side. Volume is 16,000 gallons. I guess since the incandescent is 500W they only put one fixture in the pool. If we go with the LED they recommend two fixtures in the pool. Like Jason says, they will need to add the fixture, labor and plumbing for a second LED.

mmcaleer said:
The pool is going to be a freeform 31.5' x 17' sports pool with 3.5'-6'-4.5' depths with a slide at the 4.5' side. There is also a 12" raised spa at the 3.5' side. Volume is 16,000 gallons. I guess since the incandescent is 500W they only put one fixture in the pool. If we go with the LED they recommend two fixtures in the pool. Like Jason says, they will need to add the fixture, labor and plumbing for a second LED.

The freeform part is where the 2nd light (even if not LED) might be helpful for. I have a 16x32 that's 3.5 - 5.75' and one non-LED works great until someone swims in front of it - but with kids that becomes a fun activity - they try to mask off all the light with their bodies for fun...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
phipsi1237 said:
Yep, I missed that, sorry. How big and what shape is the pool? You might be able to get by with just one LED in the pool. I replaced one 500W incandescent with one Intellibrite in the pool (same for the spa, except 300W). With the size of my pool, 2 niches would probably be too much.

I missed that part. I spent too long in the sun today repainting my fence and inhaling spray paint fumes. I would need to see the price difference between the regular lights and the led lights with the extra niche. I know when I asked to have my lights replaced by a pool builder the gave me a quote of 2 grand for two lights not including spa. I ended up doing it myself for WAY less. Each fixture cost me about 400 dollars and I ended up replacing all 3 of them.

Here's a couple of images taken last night. Our pools are about the same size. I'm at about 14.4K. I have one light on the side closest to us in the photos. It would probably be a little brighter, but the niche is slanted down slightly. (I haven't posted photos before using photobucket, so hopefully this is within forum rules.)

DSC_0514_zps8a9893e1.jpg

DSC_0513_zpsf00fb050.jpg

phipsi1237 said:
Here's a couple of images taken last night. Our pools are about the same size. I'm at about 14.4K. I have one light on the side closest to us in the photos. It would probably be a little brighter, but the niche is slanted down slightly. (I haven't posted photos before using photobucket, so hopefully this is within forum rules.)

DSC_0514_zps8a9893e1.jpg

DSC_0513_zpsf00fb050.jpg

That looks awesome.

phipsi1237 said:

DSC_0514_zps8a9893e1.jpg

DSC_0513_zpsf00fb050.jpg

That looks great for only one light. And the reds are usually not as bright as the blues and greens. Nice.

I must confess..... This was taken with a professional camera with an 8 sec exposure. However, it would be even brighter without the landscaping lights in the background (or the fact the niche is pointed down). We chose the purple because that's the wife's favorite.

My point being, I dont't think 2 lights are necessary in a pool that size. Here's one taken with an iPhone with no flash.
e7y7e7a8.jpg

Another from an iPhone with a flash.
3yjara9y.jpg

Pictures can definitely be deceiving. Actually, most are. Just wanted to make sure everyone gets "the picture.". But, you can see in the second photo how the niche is slanted.

I find the reds only reach about half of my pool length and I wish I had 2 lights. Certainly easier and cheaper to do now than try to retrofit.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'm not understanding the need for a niche at all, I have Savi melody LEDs and they simply screw into a standard 1 1/2inch return fitting that is attached to 14inches of straight 1 1/2inch conduit then a sweep 90 and conduit the rest of the way to the transformer.

I can see the hassle for a retrofit but for a new pool the cost is minimal for labor, conduit is dirt cheap and the entire system(2 12v LEDs plus transformer) can be had for around $1400.00

My lights have 5 colors and can be sync'd or separate, have to figure out the Easytouch panel interface but works fantastic! Wish I would have gotten a third light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.