square footage of tile needed...

durango118

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2012
Ok so I decided on a very nice glass tile from NPT....OCN-Doheny IS 12....

We're going to trim out along the sides of the stairs, across the front of the spa and continue along the side of remaining stairs.
My designer sent me a spec sheet to scale. I have 54 6" tile spaces to fill.....which is 324 inches....27 linear feet, 13 1/2 sq ft.

My pool guy insists I need 22 sq feet (44 linear ft) There's no waste at all on this pc, it's interlocking so the only two pcs to be cut are the end ones. ( I actually called the tile place myself) I can understand getting a few extra pcs for safety sake but that much?

Can anyone chime in on the tile?
Thanks

For floors, I think you want about 10-20% extra for all the cuts etc ... that quote seems like over 60% extra. Which does seem excessive.

Are you sure there is not something you are missing? Ask them to explain why you should buy 60% more than you need.

I agree, I've done the math 3 times. I keep coming up with the same thing.

I'm having much difficulty communicating with these people. Everyone is always "out in the field" but they're never in my field ! I'm pretty disgusted at this point. Phone calls go unanswered, emails are 3 days..... I told them I wanted to be home for the shotcrete and I got a call at my office "we'll be there in 30 minutes" WHAT?????? This is what I'm dealing with.

Your PB may be gun shy about glass tile. I'm not a builder, however I've seen many instances with renovations using glass tile in which much of the work has to be redone. Things like like tile getting chipped, inconsistent application of thinset leading to color variation...the list goes on.

He's up-charging me $350 for those 27 linear feet of application. I'm not feeling that I should be responsible for his "gun shyness". Lots of people are using the glass tile now for pools. Don't you think the person doing the tile work should be able to do this? I'm trying to figure out where this guy is coming from. It's interlocking tile, there's no cutting except for the ends. I don't want to be stuck with $400 worth of tile afterwards. It's $50 a square foot.

Hi there,
I know this is an old thread, but.....Ive devided on the same glass tile as you for my new pool and love the colors! Are you happy with your selection? Would you recommend it? Any pics? Trying to educate myself as much as possible beforehand.
Thanks so much for your help!

I definitely love the tile. It was just a nightmare trying to pull everything together. But I stood my ground and we did have enough tile with my calculations. I'm at work, so I can't post pictures. I can try to later.

Trying to post some photos....
[attachment=2:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 1.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]
[attachment=1:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 2.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]
[attachment=0:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 3.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]

Attachments

• pool tile 1.JPG
    pool tile 1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 119
  • pool tile 2.JPG
    pool tile 2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 120
  • pool tile 3.JPG
    pool tile 3.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 119

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the hang of it. Here are a few more of it all finished.
[attachment=2:13pzfqix]pool tile 4.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]
[attachment=1:13pzfqix]pool tile 5.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]
[attachment=0:13pzfqix]pool tile 6.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]

Attachments

• pool tile 4.jpg
    pool tile 4.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 117
  • pool tile 5.jpg
    pool tile 5.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 117
  • pool tile 6.jpg
    pool tile 6.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 115
[attachment=2:1wmtd83n]tile 7.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]
[attachment=1:1wmtd83n]tile 10.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]
[attachment=0:1wmtd83n]IMG_4115.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]

Attachments

• tile 7.jpg
    tile 7.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 117
  • tile 10.jpg
    tile 10.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 114
The first photo of the tile is when it had just been installed. It hadn't even been cleaned yet. Cleaned up it's really pretty. What I really like about it is it's iridescence, depending on the amount of sunlight, it gives off several different shades. It's really worked for us. But as you know, it's not cheap. Hence just the center strip and over the top of the spillway. The rest of the tile is Bellagio with accents of Bellagio Deco (can't really see in the photos)
Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.