How often do I need to test for salt?

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
I just got my TF refill kit with the salt test. How often should I test the salt? I backwash at least once a week, more if my filter pressure rises from 18 (clean pressure) to 22. I have the readout on my Goldline control but know not to trust that wholeheartedly.

Also, how often do you do all the tests? I am doing the pH and the drop based chlorine every day to day and a half. I can't get a good reading on the daily chlorine so I use the drops fo that. I usually do the others, minus the CYA about 2 times a week. Is that overkill? How often should I do the CYA? I have not done it in about 3 weeks because I was out of reagent. I am going to do one today but after that how often should I do it? I have a notebook that I keep all my results in, along with SWG % and stuff added, how much and when.

I suggest:

Daily: Chlorine and PH
Weekly: TA and CH
Twice a season or as needed: CYA and salt
(As needed would be any time you suspect significant water replacement.)

Normally I adjust the salt and CYA at the start of the season, which may actually involve several tests. Then I test them again in early August to make sure things are on track. Other than that it would be after times there was significant water replacement (large storm floods the pool, recovering from a leak, etc).

My suggestiion, since you have a SWG and a sand filter which means that your Salt and CYA will be lowered a bit with each backwash is to test pH and chlorine daily (or as close to that as you can. I am lucky if I can do mine twice a week!)
Test TA weekly, and CH, CYA, and Salt every two to three weeks depending on how often you backwash. You will soon learn how stable these different measurements are in YOUR pool and will have a better idea if they need to be tested closer to weekly or monthly. If they change fast then test them closer to weekly. If the CH, CYA, and salt stay pretty stable then just test them monthly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.