New Pool Owner - How to properly close my pool

Jul 18, 2011
Ok, so I am a relatively new pool owner.....last year I paid someone to close my pool at the cost of $300. I'd like to do it myself this year

I purchased a pool closing kit, so I have all the chemicals I need.....I just don't know the process.

I know water needs to be removed from the lines, I was told I can do this with a wet dry vac...but im honestly not sure which lines need to be blown out.

Here is my set up:
The pool
5752301068dc0199856df644f833faa6.jpg

The Filter:
17845bd4868ccd0db40ca5bc6682ed50.jpg

First step is to backwash and then remove the filter element and plug all the lines in the pool and skimmers.....beyond that, I need some help
I do have an elephant cover , so I know that's the last step.

Go easy on me, I am a newbie to this and just learning. Thanks in advance :cheers:

Where are you located? It makes a difference in the amount of work required.

You almost have it right. :)
Backwashing is fine and I assume that's a DE filter so removing the grids and cleaning them is good.
You need to need to raise the FC to shock level for your CYA and then lower the water level and then blow the lines and plug them.

I am located in Massachusetts, it is a DE filter

Interesting about draining the water, I remember having to take the plugs out and they were definitly under water.....is that from rain water getting in or did the pool company fill it back up after?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.