New to pools

Sep 17, 2012
Hi all new to the forum and pools in general. My wife and I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) to get a pool. We are from central Canada, and have two little kids. That's why we are doing it. We have a few quotes that are fairly close in price, just trying to sort through them. Each builder has there biases towards different filter system heating system etc.. Some like sand some like cartridge style filters. Also sanitation they are all different, one like uv, one likes ozone, and others like copper filters, so its difficult to try to wrap you head around this. With the bones of the pool all the builders pretty much use the same method of building but different ways to get water away from the pool. So its the filter, and sanitation that I probably need a proper guidance on. Also one upgrade that I am thinking of doing that I just thought about was getting a deep end stair or lounger. So any type of guidance we be great. Thanks for you time, and the site looks great. I look forward in surfing the site. :-D

Hit up pool school on the top right for tons of info on equipment and chemicals. Give it some time to sink in because it can be overwhelming. The preferred method here is bleach, borax and baking soda (BBB). Bleach is the sanitizer and really the best and least expensive out there. You could add the chlorine (bleach) by using a Salt Water Generator (SWG) if you prefer not to pour bleach everyday. This unit makes chlorine from salt you add to the water.

You've come to a great place to start your adventure, welcome to TFP!

In the place we are intending on placing it will be exposed to the sun I would say for a good 16 hours with little to no shade. Also I forgot to mention that the ozone and uv will have chlorine injection as well. I found that getting all these quotes, all the builders here are getting away from swg. One said due to corrosion, another said for liner issues. I'm not sure why. Friends of ours has swg and swears by it. I found that before when he would just use chlorine that my sinuses would plug up, and i would feel like I had a head cold, but since he went with salt, its realy nice to swim with no issues. So do you think that in the past that swimming in his pool his chlorine levels were to high causing my grief? Thanks for your time guys I do appreciate it.

Salt systems make chlorine from saltwater and electricity. What type of chlorine was the pool using "pucks" in a floater? Those are smellier than bleach. Also a pool with too little chlorine can paradoxically have a strong chlorine smell due to the chloramines

My pool is sanitized with bleach and more than one person has asked how I keep it sparkling clean without chlorine! The say it has no smell or taste - like fresh water. I smell a faint hint of chlorine but not much.

- Sent using Tapatalk

sal6430 said:
So do you think that in the past that swimming in his pool his chlorine levels were to high causing my grief?
He may not have monitored it like the BBB method specifies. His levels could have been all over the place. The SWG makes it simple to keep a nice level chlorine balance with little work. When I didn't have the SWG I used liquid bleach, the only difference I can see is my water now has a bit of a salty taste & feel. I have friends that use pucks or granular chlorine, their pools make my eyes burn just being near them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.