Difference between a Heat Pump and a Heater

kooma

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, I was wonder if anyone would be so kind to explain the differences between a Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump and an Universal H-Series (natural gas).

I understand the Heat pump here is electric and the Universal H series is gas. But are there differences to how they heat the water.

I live in Canada so would either be a better model than the other. Or perhaps do I need both?

Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

Kooma, whereabouts in Canada? As long as you live in a natural gas service area, and provided your subject to the "regular" Canadian seasons (eg winter freeze) I suspect you'll be much happier with the gas heater, which will bring up, and IMHO maintain temps much more effectively.

However, if you live in Newfoundland, where the granite makes gas lines/delivery difficult, you might need to opt for the heat pump.

If I recall correctly, heat pumps won't work at all below 40 degrees (F not Celsius). I'm in Michigan, and last night it was 45 degrees, but 78 during the day today. Because I have the gas heater, I could ave swam (if I could have gotten home from work before 9 pm! sigh ;)

Hi - I'm at the Toronto type of weather - probably like Michigan year round. Yes we have Natural Gas to the house so from what you guys have been explaining to me I guess it's a NG heater for me. No heat pump.

Thanks

Yes, then I think you'd be happier. It's not exactly cheap to extend the season when the nights are cool but the days are swim-able, but it's very nice to have the option. This weekend was great for that! The water had "naturally" sunk to about 70 degrees, but I could jack it up and be good to go! If you're like me, you'll want to squeeze all the "swim/summer" you can out of your "fall" (and spring!)

I am in Newfoundland, and run a heat pump. I find it great for maintaining the heat, but when the weather cools, it's not very effective. I can keep the heat up with pump running 24/7. I closed my pool right after Hurricane Leslie moved through. Looking back on it I could have gotten another week, maybe a couple, but the heat pump would be basically running 24/7 to maintain 32 degrees celsius (yeah, I know. But my wife and children are wimps - they like the hot water). Ideally I would like a gas heater to quickly heat the pool and a heat pump to maintain the heat. Otherwise, if I want to swim on the weekend I need to keep the heat pump turned on to maintain the heat. If not, if I let the heat drop, it takes the heat pump a few days to bring temp back up. Just as well to leave it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.