New to pools and to board, got questions

Ozzie

Sep 13, 2012
Living here in NC, I finally realized the American dream and bought a house, about time my dad says....
Thanks to all those that worked on the BBB, I can finally see the bottom of my pool, but I do have some questions, I just did some tests.
BR 6.5
CL 3.0
PH 7.6
My AK is off the scale,and according to the chart in the test kit, I'll need approx 1.5 gallons of muriatic acid.
I stopped at 20 drops of alkalinity test, the water wasn't perfectly clear, but really close.
I know my chlorine is way high, just shocked it yesterday.
PH appears to be close.

But, I can see the bottom!!

Still have some algae to break loose.

Any help?

Thanks for getting me this far, it's really appreciated.

Just changed out the sand in the filter, that was interesting.....

Hi Ozzie,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It sounds like you are using a standard DPD kit where you compare the shades of red against a color chart. Right?
You mention an algae outbreak and that you are shocking.
If you have read pool school, link in my signature, you'll have seen that shocking is a process, not a product we dump in the pool.
How are you shocking it and what is your daily source of chlorine (CL)?

In order to properly shock your pool, you need to know what your CYA level is, without this, you're only guessing at how much CL to put in it. Whether shocking or not.
Do you have a CYA test? If not, I would suggest you check out the TF100 test kit, also in my sig. Yes, I know it's a bit expensive, but it's the most affordable way to get all the tests you need to go through the shocking process & keep it in check there after.

BTW, unless you have put bromine in your pool, which you should never mix with CL, no need to pay attention to those numbers.

I wouldn't worry about your alkalinity right now, you need to get your algae problem taken care of 1st and it has no bearing on clearing that up.
BTW, what color is your algae and where is it, sun/shade?

And sand in a filter rarely ever needs changing, it never wears out, it's already millions of years old. Cleaning & resettling the sand bed is all that is needed each season. Cleaning & Resettling Sand Bed - Regular Maintenance

Post back your CYA numbers and we can help you with the shock process and recommendations.

Will work on getting the better test kit, working with what I have right now, it's got 2 vials, 4 different chemicals (ph test, acid demand and total alkalinity, chlorine neutralizer, total alkalinity) and 2 sets of tabs dpd 1 and dpd 2. Using Clorox as my source for chlorine, Pouring straight into skimmer. Will work on getting the CYA levels.
With my chlorine levels so high, will more hurt?
My algae is green, and pool gets a full complement of sun and shade during the day, depending on where the sun is. It's shielded from the early morning sun and late afternoon, but when the sun is overhead, it's tanning time....

Do not pour your bleach directly into the skimmer. It's too high of a concentration of chlorine and can ruin seals, impellers as well as other moving parts.

Instead, pour your bleach in front of a return, water exiting from the pump+filter back into the pool, with the pump running. Brush the sides of the pool and bottom where you poured it, to be sure none has settled there where it can potentially cause damage to the pool surface(s). Keep the pump running for at least 30min to allow it to all circulate.

Regarding your FC levels of CL, it is impossible to recommend how much or how little to use without knowing your CYA. It sequesters your chlorine and locks it from being consumed by the sun, so only a certain, small percentage is actually available to be used to oxidize organics in your pool. IE. Algae.

If you can't buy the TF100 kit right now, I perfectly understand. I had to wait almost a month to buy mine, no money. :(
Do plan for it though and budget it in, in the meantime, we can at least get you a rough idea by having you take a sample to a pool store. Most pool store testing is very inaccurate and horribly misleading anyway, but it's better than nothing. If you can find a pool store that will do a turbidimetric CYA test using a fill tube and a reagent that makes the solution cloudy, obscuring a dot at the bottom of the tube, indicating a certain point on the tube where the dot fully disappears, and that's the CYA number. Then take it to them, that'll be perfect so long as they do it in direct sun with their back to the sun and the tube at eye level. Computer based tests are, surprisingly, horribly inaccurate.

But the DPD test you have isn't accurate enough to determine how much CL loss you are getting from consumption by organics present in your pool. You can get a rough idea on dosing it, it's far better than OTO for readability, but you'll never be able to perform the OCLT of 1.0ppm or less without the FAS-DPD kit. You can almost never find these locally, they have to purchased online. You could go buy just that by itself and it would be much cheaper, you can also buy the smaller TF50 kit, which doesn't have the OTO/pH block, so this should be fine as you already have a pH block. The Taylor pH block is the industry standard for accuracy and easiness to read, I can attest to this, but you could still get bye with your pH block and when you want a nicer one, upgrade to the Taylor for about $10-15 bones.
The TF50 is smaller, in it's number of tests it can perform, but it does have all the tests and is still a good value. While shocking, you may or may not run out of FAS-DPD titrant, if you do, you can always order more.

Hope that helps, let us know what you come out with on a CYA result and how they did the test. I'd suggest multiple places for an average if you can't find the above recommended test method at any of the shops.
Oh, and ignore anything they tell you and don't buy anything there.

When you take your sample, grab it away from a return, near an inlet and use a very clean bottle. An old hydrogen peroxide bottle is good as you want it opaque so the sample is protected from light. Fill it all the way to the top so it doesn't slosh around, this can effect the sample. Keep it away from direct heat & sunlight as well as cold conditions, IE. don't run your AC in the car much. You don't want your sample getting colder or hotter than it was in the pool, as much as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.