wiring 4 wire 220v pump

Jul 5, 2012
I am trying to wire a 220v pump and heater. There are a red, black and a green wire coming from pump and heater. I am being told I need a white neutral but no one can tell me where it gets hooked up at. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Hooking up 220V equipment does not have a common (white) wire. Only 2 hots and the ground ... I would not trust whoever is currently giving you electrical advice.

Are you just trying to hook the pump and heater up? Or are you trying to put in a subpanel?

Jason's right,
I'm prepping to do the same thing and luckily I have a friend that is an electrician. The black and red are your hots(120volt each) the green is ground. That's straight from the load center breaker to the pump wiring. The 4 wire setup is from main panel to subpanel- red & black are hot, green is ground white is Neutral to panel. You should have a bonding wire that runs from your subpanel to the side of your pump as well as the ground wire.
Don't know about heaters as I am not getting one.

http://www.inyopools.com/guide_wiring_w ... _dual.aspx

If the circuit only contains 220 volt loads then no neutral is required. If there is any 110 volt loads involved such as control panels etc then a neutral is needed. You mentioned you are hooking up a pump and heater. Are you running these out of a sub panel or are they on two different circuits from the main panel?

I ran 4 wires to sub panel ( red, black, white and ground). From sub panel I ran red, black and ground to pump and heater on separate breakers. There is also a light and a automation system on their own breakers using 110v coming out of sub panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.