Stain and Scale Do I need it?

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
I am in the process of closing my pool as I write this. I have added my chlorine and my algaecide and I am almost below my returns as far as draining is concerned. Do I need to add Scale and Stain remover?

The instructions on the Stain and Scale say not to use when super chlorinating or for 7 days after, But I am at 10ppm chlorine and ready to close my pool but need to know why it says not to if there are high levels of chlorine? It says use at 1ppm or less and not to super chlorinate for 7 seven days later just to be clear. Confused???

Well I think I will answer myself. :) I did not end up adding Stain and Scale remover because I do not have any Stains or Scaling. I went into the pool store to get some new water bags and some Algaecide. They tried to sell me a closing kit that had 2 bags of shock, 1 bottle of algaecide and a bottle of Stain and Scale. I ended up buying my water bags and some algaecide and left.

I can see no reason to add Stain and Scale when closing a pool for the winter. Heck the bottle even says not to use when Chlorine is greater then 1ppm. So I am not sure why they would sell all of this stuff in one kit? Anyway I just added liquid beach at 12% and some algaecide at the recommended levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.