How to make a winter cover look better...

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Well it is almost time to cover my beautiful oasis. I am in a freeze area so I need to lower the water level, drain lines, etc. for closing. I have not bought my cover yet for the winter. And I can't afford a safety cover this year. So...

I was trying to think of a way to make the closed pool look a little better. The windows of the house look out right onto the pool deck area. When there is a lot of snow, it's all good, but before that, there will be an ugly black cover with water bags or something all around it. I tried to find a better color, but I haven't found anything quite yet.

Anyone have suggestions on this one? It would be so nice to have a better looking pool area for the closed months.

That my friend, is an excellent idea. :) Like a liner print on the tarp!

I was browsing and found that there are a number of places online that sell safety covers that are pre-made rectangles in every size and color for a fraction (1/5th) the price of a custom one. Why can't I get a rectangle safety-cover and just install it so that it covers the pool. It just means that a little more will be on the concrete in some places where there are curves (kidney pool). Perhaps if I was worried I could put some old liner down on the concrete under the cover so it wouldn't rub. I am not too worried about safety on this, it is a close-fenced pool that will be locked for the entire winter season.

What are people's thoughts on this one? :)

Nothing will compare with the view of a sparkling pool, but a custom made safety cover is the next best choice. Where I live now, my pool stays open year-round. But in New England I had a loop loc mesh type safety cover in the off season and it looks nice and tidy. It was custom made to fit the pool and I saved quite a bit by ordering on-line and installing it myself. It's actually pretty easy to measure for a custom cover and install it.

I think it will look good - but it's a lot of money. I thought I could save 1/2 by using a standard rectangle. I can remove my diving board completely, and just put it stretched over. I wasn't too worried about voiding the warranty, if it's good when I buy it, it will likely last. But spending $1000 is better to me then spending $3000 for a custom fit one.

:shock: Wholy Cow! $3,000!! Mother of Carp that's a lot of moola!

I have a 20 x 45 inground with a permanent slide, diving board & stairs & I have 2 quotes for a custom made cover for less than $1,200.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention company names on this forum, but do a google search & start calling around. I can't imagine that a kidney shape would be triple the amount. There are plenty of rectanglular ones out there for a lot less than $1,000. I've seen them in recent weeks large enough to fit my pool for around $600...

If you look on-line you can find several sources for loop loc type covers (competing companies can be quite a bit cheaper). My custom made cover wasn't much more than a standard rectangle of equal size. Certainly not triple. If someone has source or brand to recommend, they can post it. It's been several years since I bought mine.

Rectangular safety covers on irregularly shaped pools destroy themselves with winter snow loads. Additionally, an irregular pool requires extra anchors at the curves to properly support them; hence the extra cost. A properly designed and installed safety cover will last 12 to 15 years, do the math.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.