Clean before closing?

Sep 17, 2012
We are renters in a home in New Jersey. Last year, we'd just moved in when the owner came and closed the pool. Much to our disbelief, his "cover" for the pool was a huge blue tarp rather than a pool cover. We opened the pool ourselves in the spring to discover a pond of murky water underneath the tarp. Lots of work to get it clear and up and running. Throughout the summer, we dealt with algae quite a bit from the trees around the pool and many rains.

A few weeks ago, my husband declared it too cold to swim anymore and instructed me not to put any more chemicals in the pool or run the filter. Well, of course, the pool is back to looking like a pond. His thinking was that it'll be that way in the spring anyway, why waste more time and money on it.

Is it going to be a really big deal if we close it as it is? Or should we clear it up again before going through all the closing procedures?

I close mine according to the directions at pool school. Since using BBB, I have never opened my pool to see a pond. Just clear water. But, I also clean my home before I leave on vacation even though we will just get it dirty again when we return. :wink: Same with making the bed :-D

Why let it turn in to a pond? I closed mine early last year because I didn't know I should have waited until the beginning of October (for the water to get down to 60ish). When I opened this spring it was completely clear.

I will probably close within a couple weeks, but I'm still seeing a possibility of mid 80s. So I'm waiting for that to pass just in case :D

If you're going to stop treating the water, why not follow the BBB instructions and properly close it now? That will give you a much better chance of an easy opening than purposely letting it go green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.