Raypak 206A Propane Heater

Aug 2, 2010
Sarasota, FL
I have a Raypak 206A heater which is just over a year old and no power.

Fired up the heater yesterday to bring the pool temp up a few degrees and I noticed the I wasn't getting any heated water. I went out to the unit and the display was blank like it had no power. I removed the cover and and made sure the connections(AC) to the unit were okay. Took a meter to make sure I had AC power and I was a little confused on what I was seeing didn't appear to be correct but I was rushing because it was beginning to rain. I may have had the wrong value selected on the meter. In addition I checked the power switch itself and it was good.

What I didn't do is check the other side of the transformer to verify 24VAC.

Has anyone else run into this problem. I picked Raypak for its reliability. If the board is toast I'm going to be upset.

Raypak has been having a problem with excessive board failure recently. You should be able to get a replacement board under warranty (do verify that the transformer is supplying 24 volts AC).

Qwaxalot said:
Raypak has been having a problem with excessive board failure recently. You should be able to get a replacement board under warranty (do verify that the transformer is supplying 24 volts AC).

It depends on when the unit was manufactured. Not all units are covered.

danpik, I have yet to find or see a universal board for a pool heater. Maybe on a furnace or AC unit you can find that but not on pool heaters. I've been working specifically on pool heaters for over two years and have a cousin and a friend that do the same thing for over 10 years each and they have never seen a universal board either for a pool heater.

1. Check the secondary of the x-former (as you thought), for 24v
2. Raypak is NOT having a problem with the boards, it is the LCD screen that is the problem, which Raypak is covering.
3. Raypaks' standing pilot heaters do not have a transformer(IID). Come on guys! If you don't know, say so, or don't comment. It makes you look like you don't know Raypaks.
4. If you replace any part that is not from Raypak, you void the warranty(this one is less than a year).

Just remember that even though a heater might have been installed in the last 12 months it could still be older than that. I routinely have to fight with suppliers to get models that were manufactured in the current year or within the last 3 months of the previous year. As example, I went to pick up a unit last month and it was manufactured in Jan of 2011! I refused to take it and made them give me a newer unit. Yes the unit was new but it had been sitting in a warehouse for that long. Stock rotation can be an issue with some suppliers. Yes the manufacturer will cover it for warranty issue for one year from the date of the installation.

Pool Clown is correct about the display issues and not the board. The question still remains on if this is the newer model that the OP has or an older one, old color scheme.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.