Above Ground Pool Cover

May 12, 2009
We have a 21ft round above ground Dough Boy Pool with wedding cake stairs. We plan to close pool in the next few weeks and we need to purchase a new pool cover. The one that came with the pool was a tarp style with wire that ran around the entire perimeter and then twisted tight once place all the way around the pool- This has worked great but after 4 years the tarp is getting thin and has some holes- I am hoping some one can recommend another great brand or place to purchase online that sells great quality- This will be the first item we have replaced since we purchased our pool in 2008-09. We don't want to spend an arm and leg, however not sure what this item should cost?

Please Help!

I don't know that there is much difference other than thickness of them which should be listed with the products themselves. It probably depends on how much of a beating they take during the winter months as to how long they will hold up.

You may check the size of the one you currently have. I wish we would have gone a size larger when we bought ours so we had a little extra room... hard to get ours to fit well and we get a lot of heavy snow and ice which weighs it down and puts stress on it.

bearclaw, I am about to order a winter cover as well, but have not yet done so. I did order a solar cover from solarcovers.com and was extremely pleased with the free s&h, quick delivery (3 days I think), price, and while I've only had the cover a couple of months, so far so good. Many others on this site have had positive comments about this company as well. Based on that, I am going to order my winter cover from them.

If you are getting a new cover, get one that is light and water proof and made of strong polymer material, they may cost more, but their worth it. My cover has a pro-rated warranty for 20 years. It works great, keeps my pool clean over the winter and reduces the amounts of chemicals that I have to add to the pool upon closing. Do not get a cover that lets any light or dirt in (i.e. mesh covers, transparent covers), they are going to promote algae growth in your pool by reducing the effectiveness of your chemicals via light mediated decomposition. In the spring, I siphon the water off the cover and clean it in about 40 minutes. I hold my cover down using a length of rayon clothsline tightened around the pool with a turn-buckle (for a clothsline). My water looks as good in the spring as it did in the fall. Good luck with your pool closing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.