What is proper winter care/storage for my solar cover?

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
Standard white bubble-wrap type solar cover, 15x30 oval. What do I need to do with this thing over the winter?

- Mop/brush the top side with a 10:1 water/bleach mix?
- Roll it up? Fold it up? How tight it ok? Does it need to be as "open" as practically possible to minimize moisture getting trapped inside and mildew build-up?
- Inside (garage or basement) vs outside (shed) make a difference?

I let mine dry real good on the driveway and blow it off with my backpack blower. It then gets rolled up and placed in a contractor sized trash bag and just losely tie the top. I store it in the garage attic space, but shed, etc would be just fine too...as long as there are no mice around :shock:

dmanb2b said:
as long as there are no mice around :shock:
This year I'm planning to try fitting my cover in to a large rubbermade tub. I've always debated about cutting it, maybe now is the time to split it up. Our shed seems to attract mice from the back of our property. Haven't seen many of them this summer, but they're around, my winter cover now needs to be replaced.

I hosed mine off and then let it dry and folded it section and a time making sure it was completely dry before folding over another section. I then put it in the large plastic bag it was shipped in and taped all open edges. I put it in our barn for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.