Can fire ash cause CL demand?

y_not

Jul 24, 2012
Redmond, OR
Will visible black ash that has fallen from the sky, from a large nearby forest fire and collected in the pool cause a CL demand?

It is so fine you just touch it and it goes POOF!
On dry land that is.

Here's the fire just for grins.
546361_356047314483958_1114119579_n.jpg

I believe so. One year when we had fires near us, I had to raise my SWG output. I had to add CYA more often too so that could have been part of the cause.

According to this paper, in wood ash the major elements are calcium, potassium and magnesium. Oxygen and carbon are present, and for low temperature heating (600ºC) the result is calcium carbonate and potassium calcium carbonate while in high temperature heating (1300ºC) calcium oxide and magnesium oxide were the main compounds. Ash is alkaline so will raise the pH. I'm not sure where the chlorine demand is coming from unless there is unburned wood organics in some of the ash.

I wasn't suggesting that the ash itself causes a chlorine rise rather a mechanism to bring more organics into the pool. More like a vehicle for transport. But that is just speculation. This may not be unlike rain which can also force organics out of the air into the water and why pools can sometimes get an algae bloom right after a rain.

The question is, will it provide enough organics to potentially cause an OCLT to fail at std shock levels?

I'll take some photos of the stuff on the ring of the pool tomorrow. You can literally stand outside and watch it fall from the sky, my filter has charcoal spots in it and the skimmer sock of sorts that I'm using turns black with ash, even collecting in small clumps, about 1/8tsp in the bottom.

I almost feel that until this fire passes, I'm never going to know if I can stop shocking or not. GRRR

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.