New pool, filled last weekend...need help!

Sep 14, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Hi,
We just converted our vinyl pool (that we gave up on years ago...it was an awful swamp due to many issues we had, long story) to exposed aggregate plaster. We finished filling the pool last Sat (9/8). I wish I had found this site earlier, but I already started with recommendations from the pool store, and not enough info from the builder before I found you guys. I am ordering the test kit tonight and I read up on the "Pool School" info all last night (was up till 3 am reading!!). I started with tap water and the following readings, per the pool store:
FC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 40
CH: 50
CYA: 20
Phosphates: 300
He said my water levels are way off and that I should have added the conditioner sooner (but per instructions a day 3 item, so not sure what he meant). Per the pool store, day 1 (Thu) I added 23 lb of Alkalinity up and since I only had 45 lbs of Hardness plus on hand, day 2 (Fri) I added 45 (instead of recommended 68). That night I added 2 lbs of power powder plus and took the water back today (Sat) to be tested before adding the Instant Conditioner that I was told to add on day 3. Water levels tested as follows:
FC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 50
CH: 125
CYA: 20
Phosphates: 0
He told me I should put in 19 lbs of Alkalinity up, which I added (I had some Alkalinity up left from them and added baking soda for the rest), and 2 lbs of power powder plus on day 1, which I have not added yet. I did however add 6 lbs of Cyanuric Acid to the skimmer (will add more once dissolved and tested). I will add the Hardness plus (ordered, should be here in a few days) when I get it of which he said I should add 42 lbs of (I could not find any substitutes to Hardness plus anywhere else). He said I should throw 3-4 Chlorine tablets in there too, but I would rather go the bleach route mentioned here.
I still feel really lost. The pool store guy sped through the info (as he did last time). Most of what he told me is close to what I got from the pool calculator, but I'm just trying to figure out if what I am doing is right, and also if I should add bleach amount from pool calculator instead of power powder plus AND tablets?
Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure I get all the necessary info in. I have been reading and searching through this site for the past day and it has been awesome. My brain is on pool overload lol. Thanks for the wonderful website and all the help!!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I suggest that you do not do any more adjusting to TA, CH or CYA until you can confirm #'s with your own test kit.

You can use the PoolCalculator.com ('effects of adding chemicals section' near bottom) to help determine what the expected levels/results should be based on what you have already added.

Test/adjust pH daily and keep pH in the mid to low 7's using muriatic acid. The FC can be maintained at this new plaster stage with the trichlor tabs which, altho are not recommended for long term untested use, are helpful with new plaster. They add FC slowly and since they are acidic, they help to keep the pH down.

Here's a link with good info and contains other links :) new-pool-new-plaster-newbie-t50064.html

Post back with any questions as we have lots of members ready and willing to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.