Is sodium hydroxide in bleach normal/ok to use in pool?

juzzie

Aug 25, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

Found some bleach at ALDI supermarket - extremely cheap but only 4% strength sodium hypochlorite. that's ok...

But It also says in the active ingredients it has sodium hydroxide 9%.

Is the sodium hydroxide OK to use in pool?

I am shocking at the moment and can't get the better 13% liquid chlorine...

Are you sure it says 9% sodium hydroxide and not 0.9% (which is still high -- good chlorinating liquid has 0.25% and Clorox bleach is < 0.1%)? If it's truly that high DO NOT USE IT. It will significantly raise the pH and require you to add a lot of acid. If it were truly 9% sodium hydroxide, then it would require about 30 fluid ounces (almost a quart) of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) for every gallon of bleach that you use!

Where do you get the 16% bleach? I normally use the 8.25% from Kroger or WalMart, but was looking at the bleach from Home Depot, which does have <1% Soldium Hydroxide (which is how I found this thread.

I finally learned to NOT use Dollar Tree Bleach, after way too many $$ spent on basically water :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.