High CYA levels

May 13, 2012
Coppell, Tx
I recently replastered my pool with an exposed aggregage similar to pebble tec. I am using Chlor Brite for chlorine treatment and I have a LaMotte ColorQ tester. Pool chemistry has been consistently very good: PH 7.5, ALY 88 to 100, CH 210, but CYA (cyanuric acid) recent average has been around 90ppm (30-50ppm recommended) with the last two at 101 and 98. Has anyone else experienced this using Chlor Brite? Any other ideas how to deal with this issue of rising CYA?

Checking Leslies Website suggests "Chlor Brite" is a di-chlor Granular Chlorine which contains Cyanuric Acid, therefore every time you use it you add more Cyanuric Acid to your water. You need to switch to an unstabilised Chlorine source such as Sodium Hypochlorite/Wallmart Bleach or Calcium Hypochlorite (HTH Granular), these chlorine products do not contain Cyanuric Acid.

You will also need to partially drain your pool - if you are shooting for 50ppm CYA you will need to replace 50% of your water.

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.