Removing Dilapidated Stickers from Fiberglass

Jun 8, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
How can we remove these dilapidated stickers from our inground pool without harming the fiberglass rim? It seems like what remains of the stickers is sun baked into the fiberglass. We've tried Goo Gone, 409, etc to no luck.

p1020576ify.jpg

p1020575l.jpg

Typically I would not recommend a sticker over a sticker for fear the old one would come off. But in this case the sticker may be around after the pool turns to dust!

- Sent using Tapatalk

X-PertPool said:
magic clean eraser may work, but it also may dull the surface. Try a test patch first.

We bought a Magic Clean Eraser and tried it. It didn't do a thing for the stickers but it did clean up the surrounding fiberglass nicely.

Karmann said:
have you tried using a really sharp razor blade to gently scrap it off?

We've been avoiding sharp and/or abrasive methods because we're afraid of damaging the fiberglass.

CUTiger78 said:
Acetone/fingernail polish remover?

Is acetone safe for fiberglass?

CUTiger78 said:
Car polish? Maybe polishing compound/rubbing compound first, then polish/wax to shine it up.

Car polish sounds like a reasonably safe idea. I thought about trying buffing compound (aka "tripoli" aka "rouge") but I was worried about getting a bunch of it in the pool. Every time I use that stuff on my buffing wheel it gets everywhere. I'm covered with it and so is the shop.

ROB N said:
Use a hair dryer to warm the sticker and the sticky will start to loosen. Work from one corner to the far corner peeling it back and warming.

Good advice for stickers that are still stickers. My "stickers" are rock hard. There's no stickiness left in the adhesive. It's as if the adhesive has hardened into an epoxy or something. I've tried to pull up small pieces on the corners with my fingernail but I'm not able to lift any part of the sticker from the fiberglass. The "stickers" are really hardened on there. I've never seen anything like it in my life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kristof said:
CUTiger78 said:
Car polish? Maybe polishing compound/rubbing compound first, then polish/wax to shine it up.

Car polish sounds like a reasonably safe idea. I thought about trying buffing compound (aka "tripoli" aka "rouge") but I was worried about getting a bunch of it in the pool. Every time I use that stuff on my buffing wheel it gets everywhere. I'm covered with it and so is the shop.

Make a "clean room" type cover with plastic drop cloths and holes for your arms. Use some type of wire or maybe spring fiberglass tent pole to hold the bubble open.

ROB N has it right, however a hair dryer might not get hot enough. A heat gun and a razor blade (to start it lifting), followed up with "goof off" then polish. It will work.

I REALLY think a razor blade and some WD-40 to soften the adhesive would be less risk at damaging the surface than the heat gun would.

I've used a razor blade on cherry wood furniture before to get up stickers without a single scratch, just go at it with the right angle and you're good to go.

Maybe you can try something like this stuff below, it looks like it would do the job pretty well also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILw0WcZxMU

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ACETONE OR PAINT THINNER. The print on your liner is only ink, if you get that stuff on vinyl the print will come off as if it was printed with a dry erase marker. Acetone is what is used in special circumstances where the print is damaged on the vinyl and you use the acetone to transfer the print from once piece of the vinyl to the damaged area like a stamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.