sprung a leak

wyntyrose

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Phenix City, AL
We have developed a leak in the line that comes out of the pump into the filter. I am not sure what to use to repair it. Currently there is a large amount of a silicone product that has I guess broken down and in allowing the leak. Do I use more silicone or is there a better product to use? I want to get this fixed this weekend as it has gone from a few small "drops" to an all out steady leak when we are running the system.

Usually it is best to just replace the pipe going from pump to filter in this type of situation. Find a spot where you can cut off the broken pipe, then glue in a barell connecter and new pipe (be sure to leave enough pipe for the glued sections to hold) and the same at the other end of the new pipe. At worst - start with the threaded connector coming out of the pump, and run all new to the threaded fitting on your filter. If you go this route, be sure to include a union fitting between the pump and filter.

This is presuming you have PVC pipe like I do.

That is a threaded connection. You could try removing the old silicone caulk and re-caulk, but I doubt that would stop the leak. If there is a union downstream from the leak you can un-screw connection and re-apply teflon tape and calk to the threads. If there is no union cut the pipe far enough above the pump discharge nozzle to allow installation of a new thread X slip adapter and a union. Then glue everything back. That's not a big job and should take about 1/2 hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.