Brand new install need serious help for first fill

4knights

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
NE Kansas
I know it's late in the season (at least in Kansas) but I dig the hole Wed of next week and am installing the pool. I figure it will take a couple days to get all the plumbing, electric done. I need to know what I need for start up/first fill. The pump/filter etc should arrive next Monday so where do I start?
I know I need a test kit and will order one tonight, since this is a salt water pool the calculator says 261lbs of salt (Really??!!) I was considering using Mineral springs Beginnings for the first fill since we will basically fill the pool with water then have to close within a week due to cold. I am looking for the simplest and cheapest(the pool wasn't free :)) way to fill and be on track for next spring. The kids may be brave enough to swim in 50 degree water the first couple of days but not likely.
Thanks for any help
Ron

When you get your test kit check your fill water for a baseline. If you fill from a garden hose it will take a while, I kept adding a little bleach to mine so I was always in control of it. Once filled but before the salt is dissolved you'll want to keep some chlorine it, you can use bleach or tabs. If you use tabs keep track so you don't get too much CYA. If PH is out of balance, adjust it after the pool is filled. TA & CH adjustments would come last for me. Because I was putting chlorine in the pool as it was filling I let my preschooler and kindergartener in the pool while it was filling. The well water was in the mid 60's, they loved it. It will be the last time they stand on the bottom for a few years. So far 73 is the lowest temp I've been in it at, takes a little acclimation but after that it's fine for a while. The girls are shivering before I force them out, I'm still okay but then I have more insulation :).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.