New pool...ALL NEW TO ME!!

May 12, 2008
East of KC, MO
Hello everyone, great information posted in here...I think I killed a tree today printing out a bunch of posts on chemicals, tips, etc.

The above ground pool I ordered is a 27', 52" high, 16,420 gallon capacity (according to my flyer). It is to be installed within a couple weeks; so just doing my research now. I have never treated a pool in my life, just always swam in them! I am very interested in learning all that I can on my own, even though I have many people giving me advice; I want to learn my own methods (and others that I read about). I intend on going with the BBB plan, as it sounds very cost effective and efficient to run. My questions are ones that pertain to ordering (or changing my order) along with a few other chemical questions. I appreciate your time, and look forward to the responses!

1 - Currently I have ordered the Pentair Sand Dollar pump, specifically the 1.5hp model. It came standard with the 1hp model (w/ 19" filter), but I opted for the $50 upgrade. After researching today, I'm wondering if the 1.5hp is too much or not? I don't know if the filter size was increased in the 1.5hp upgrade though. This is the only model they offer in this package, but I can get it in 1, 1.5, or 2hp.

2 - If I go with the BBB system, is there any reason to get an inline chlorinator?

3 - If on vacation or even gone just for a couple days, do I just use some sort of chlorine puck to keep the levels up?

4 - Are all chemicals in the BBB system added directly to the pool, and if so, in a particular location?

5 - Is it OK to use all the chemicals that come with the pool (start-up kit) to get it where it needs to be, and then just merge into the BBB system?

With the package I get a nice A-frame ladder, auto vac cleaner, solar cover, winter cover, all the nets, etc...I am pretty excited!!

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

thenikeman said:
1 - Currently I have ordered the Pentair Sand Dollar pump, specifically the 1.5hp model. It came standard with the 1hp model (w/ 19" filter), but I opted for the $50 upgrade. After researching today, I'm wondering if the 1.5hp is too much or not? I don't know if the filter size was increased in the 1.5hp upgrade though. This is the only model they offer in this package, but I can get it in 1, 1.5, or 2hp.

2 - If I go with the BBB system, is there any reason to get an inline chlorinator?

3 - If on vacation or even gone just for a couple days, do I just use some sort of chlorine puck to keep the levels up?

4 - Are all chemicals in the BBB system added directly to the pool, and if so, in a particular location?

5 - Is it OK to use all the chemicals that come with the pool (start-up kit) to get it where it needs to be, and then just merge into the BBB system?

First welcome to the forum, Now for my disclaimer...I am NOT one of the SMART GURU's of this place but will give you my take until someone with more savy comes along...

1. I would go with the 1 hp, the 1.5 is a bit much for your pool, I have the same size pool as you.

2. Mine came with the inline chlorinator too, Mine has been in the shed for the last 4 years.

3. I have someone come put bleach in mine while I am gone BUT I have read where people here do use pucks while they are gone.

4.I add my bleach in front of the return, acid I walk around the pool and pour it in a little at a time. The others I add in the skimmer.

5. IMHO I would not, I would start from the get go with BBB

Uh, yep, what he said. Can you get a larger filter instead of the larger pump? We were able to get a 22" filter - the ruling advice has always been to go larger with the filter if you can.

We have used pucks on a limited basis while on a LONG vacation. The biggest thing I do for our average 4 day weekends is really shock the pool big time before we go, cover it and make sure that pump is on a timer for longer than our normal schedule. Standing water will grow nasties fast.

Good morning, I hope to be in contact w/ my pool dealer in a few hours. Does anyone else have any insight on the above questions, and due to time constraints, more importantly the pump/filter question? I think I will see if I can downgrade the motor to the 1hp, but see about upping to the 22.5" filter...

Thanks!

My sales person wasn't there, so they told me to call back...she tried to assist me, but said she had never heard of anyone putting the bigger filter on the 1 or 1.5hp pump. It generally comes standard w/ the 19.5" and wasn't even for sure they could get the 22'5". So, what are the benefits of the larger filter on the 1hp pump (so I can mention to them why I am wanting this)?

Thanks!

Exchemist said:
JohnT stated the advantages clearly and concisely in his post just above. I would trust the advise of the people on this group over what the builder says. The builder has their own interests while the folks on this group are fellow pool owners.

I mentioned the backwash and electricity factors to her, and got the response..."hmmm, I don't know, it should run as efficient as the smaller filter" and then something along the lines of "a filter is a filter". Myself not knowing the tech specs of pools at all, really can't explain myself to her very well, besides what I said about the backwash and electricity. I'll see if my guy has a little more knowledge on the subject, or to even see if they can order it for me. I will definitely take your all's word on it, just didn't know if there were more upsides on the topic. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The idea is that most builders over spec the pump because we tend to fall into the bigger is better mentality. For pumps this is not the case, for a filter it is.

Imagine that for a given size of filter you can filter out a given amount of dirt before you have to clean it. This means that for a bigger filter you can filter out more dirt and go longer between cleanings, saving you money, and time. Additionally it is easier for the pump to push the water through a bigger filter thus saving you money in electricity.

Sounds like you have a good shot at making this change for no money. You'll be happy wit h the results.

Thanks for the info lovingHDTV, and everyone else too.

Pool dealer said he would trade me straight up for the larger 22.5" filter and kick me back down to the 1hp. He was just confirming that it would hook up to it correctly. He also said that weather permitting, the pool should be installed a week from today (YAH!)

Being that it is still quite cold in the mornings and overnight, I don't think the pool water will be warming up too much.

- Since I plan on going with BBB out of the gate, once I get it full of water, should I still wait till it gets a little warmer to begin any treatments and running of the pumps? To me it sounds like a waste to open it up now and not be able to swim in it for a month.

- If I don't treat it yet, do I just leave it uncovered, or what is my best route to go?

- Also, what is the normal turn around time for starting a brand new pool, getting all the chemicals balanced, etc?

Thank you all very much! (bought a TF100 kit last night too)

You do want to run the pump and treat the water at least a little bit right from the start. If the water temperature is below 50 degrees all you need is one hour of pump run time a day and chemical usage will be minimal. As the water temperature rises you will need to increase the pump run time and chlorine usage will increase.

If no problems come up you can be swimmable, ignoring the water temperature, on the first day. It should be possible to have everything completely balanced in a couple of days, though really most of the work is on the first day.

JasonLion said:
You do want to run the pump and treat the water at least a little bit right from the start. If the water temperature is below 50 degrees all you need is one hour of pump run time a day and chemical usage will be minimal. As the water temperature rises you will need to increase the pump run time and chlorine usage will increase.

If no problems come up you can be swimmable, ignoring the water temperature, on the first day. It should be possible to have everything completely balanced in a couple of days, though really most of the work is on the first day.

Thanks for the info Jason, I will treat the pool once it's full and get the numbers up where they need to be, and just keep an eye on it till it warms up. Thanks for your help last night too, I emailed you about the PoolCalculator question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.