Heat pump questions for an ABG pool

Aug 12, 2008
Hey all,
Me and my wife were talking today and we think we want to add a heat pump to our pool. Nobody has used the pool in a month because it is to cold. I only really enjoy the pool in late June and July and in August it seems to get a little to chilly for my gang. So I am looking into a heat pump. It is really the only option. I don't have anywhere to put solar panels and Propane is out of the question. So a heat pump seems like the logical answer. I would just like to hear from any heat pump owners their feelings about a heat pump. My main concern is cost!! If anyone would like to share any tip or info, I would really it. Thank you.

The general view is that heat pumps work well to warm the water during the main season but do not do a good job at extending the season.

Where are you located?

NJpoolguy a heat pump unfortunately isn't going to do you much of any good early season or late. You have to much radiant surface to get ahead with a heat pump. Your best bet is either solar or ng/lp whichever you could get most readily.

I am in NY, on the NY/NJ border and I just turned off my heat pump. The only reason it is off is we are just too busy to use the pool now that school and sports are in season. Pool was at 80 degrees until we shut it off. You can use the heat pump as long as outside temp is above 50. Yes the cooler the outside temp is the harder the heat pump will have to work, and the longer you will have to run it but you can still use it. You have to work the cost out an decide what is most cost effective for you.
A heat pump will extend the use of the pool. We were swimming this year prior to any of our neighbors. If you are looking for fast heat for the weekend then a Heat pump may not be the best option. It is a set and forget type of thing. My expierence is limited to one year so far but it has helped as we only get 4 to 5 hours of sun a day on our pool.

ericjr7210 said:
Pool was at 80 degrees until we shut it off. You can use the heat pump as long as outside temp is above 50. .

Thats the other issue. Whats warm to one person is ice cold to another. If my pool was 80 degrees this time of year, for us it may as well be 32! We like ours 88 or so this time of year. No way a heat pump does that in september in northen climes. If youl ike 75-78 degree water in september, sure, it may extend the season. If you like it warmer, not so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.