Suggestions on Placement of Pool

Judge

Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2012
Hey everyone,

I need your suggestions on where to put my pool. I'm going with a rectangle 16 x 32 vinyl pool. Construction starts next week. I'm starting to have second thought of where I want it. Originally I was going to put it parallel with the house about 20' out (picture 1) and have paver stone decking up to the house. It is a low spot but in 10 years of living here there's very little water that collects there from snow melt in the spring. The rest of the year it is bone dry. I am starting to think if there is ever a bad year with a lot of snow melt water my accumulate in that area. Now I'm starting to reconsider on putting it on the other side of the maple tree on the higher ground (picture 2). I feel if I put it out there it would be in the middle of nowhere and further from the house. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Note:
The garden is being taken out and the tree is being moved
Pictures were taken from my deck

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 360
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 360
Genrally you are going to see the pool raised up so the top of the coping is about 4" above anyplace on the ground that is near the pool. That can cause you to have a step up from the house to the pool if one end of the yard is higher than the other. The higher spot looks like the pool would be installed deeper in the ground. Hard to tell for sure from pictures.

I heartily recommend at least leaving room for a shed/cabana for shade and a bathroom at poolside in the future. Even if you don't go forward with it, allow for it. Wet kids traipsing through the house to use the bathroom is not good, and when you aren't swimming it is hot sitting around the pool with no shade.

Do you like to swim with a little shade or swim and float with lots of sun? Then consider the orientation of the pool with the sun's east to west path. This will determine the ideal location. Any concerns with run-offs can be taken care of by drainage install.

That looks like a very small difference in elevation. I would expect - but I could be wrong - that when they dig out the dirt they can add to the area around the hole making the elevation equal or higher than the alternate location should this be desired.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I ended putting the pool where I originally was thinking. Once the pool is done there will be enough slope for any water to get away from the pool and decking area.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 207
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.