Persistent Foaming

Aug 29, 2012
I am using the BBB water method for our 550 gallon spa.
Our water has been perfect for the last couple of months.
My daughter had a spa party a couple of days ago and now we seem to be plagued with foam each time we turn the jets on. I’m sure they brought lotion, soap and perfume into our spa water…... they are girls. I was hoping that the foam would dissipate over time and we really want to resist adding any other chemicals beyond “BBB” into our spa.
Our water chemistry this morning was:

FC = 3
PH = 7.9
TA = 55
CYA = 30
CH = 155
Borates = 50
Temperature = 99

I would also add that this morning the water is not as clear as we have normally had.

I am guessing you are correct in the source of the foam. It will eventually break down. Is there any chance you did not use pain bleach as some of the additives can cause foam as well?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

We use unscented 6% Clorox bleach.

We do have something called "Sap-Perfect" which was sold to us with many other spa store chemicals to get our new spa up and running a few months ago. Spa-Perfect is a product which breaks down body oils, lotions and soaps allowing the spa filter to remove them from the water. We have none of this product in our water today (only BBB). and we are trying to resist dumping any un-needed chemicals into our spa water if we can avoid it.

If the chemical is organic and tends to float on the surface, then using a scum ball might help. If none of these suggestions work, then the Spa Perfect enzymes you used to use could work. Usually, though, foam will eventually dissipate so long as you aren't adding more soap/surfactants to the water.

I increased my FC to 10 ppm and thoroughly clean my spa filter yesterday (it was defiantly needing a cleaning).

This morning I can report that the foaming has stopped and my water quality is back to clean and clear!

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.