Water Features

kkendall

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Phoenix
Yesterday, I got the equipment orientation for the new pool. First pool I've ever had, so until yesterday, I didn't even know how anything worked, valves, etc.

Last night, I turned on the pool light and started the water features - sheer descent and 2 water scuppers. My wife and daughter (along with my daughter's son - will be 2 in December) were in the pool enjoying it. They were really having a nice time.

And I'm sitting on the patio wondering what the water features were going to do to the pH. I was enjoying the atmosphere of the pool, etc, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I wasn't so concerned about the pool chemistry.

This morning I ran a full battery of tests - pH went from about 7.5 two days ago to 7.6 today.

I think I'm going to enjoy it more, and worry less in the future! (sheesh)

I'm still a bit concerned about CH (Test kit is TF-100)

9/7/12
FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 120
CYA 20

9/11/12
FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 30

9/13/12
FC 3.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 37

When the pool guy was out yesterday to do the orientation, he pulled out his test strips and said the CH was about 250. I still don't get anything close to that. I think today I'll be taking a sample to the pool store to see what they get. I'm almost convinced it's me.

I would trust your results more than any strip. Get the third opinion, but you are likely correct.

Did you have problems with the CH test? Although that is low for AZ. If correct, you likely should raise it up a bit toward 250ppm to protect the new surface.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

It's a pretty straight forward test procedure

25ml -
add 20 drops of R-0010
add 5 drops of R-011L (turns pink)
add R-0012 till it turns blue
multiply # of R-0012 drops by 10

Seeing basically the same readings over and over (although it's coming up) makes me wonder.

One of the hardest things for newbies is to get comfortable that their own testing is always the best source.

Test strips are worthless. Pool store testing except by the very experienced few is worthless.

You care about your pool chemistry more than anyone else and you are using a drops based test which is still the most accurate testing that is available.

If the pool store tests says 250ppm for CH, what would be your next step?

The answer is to believe YOUR test results and raise your CH to 250ppm

Obviously, I have a prejudicial agenda in that I sell the TF-100 but the reason the kit sells is because it is accurate and dependable. Strips and pool store testing is not.

I agree with Dave. For your peace of mind though you could raise CH in steps and check your results. This gets you more practice and proof that what you're doing to your pool is what you expect to see. Also Dave gets to sell you more product eventually :).

You definitely want your CH to be at least 200 and keep the TA in the 120 range. Trust your test results for now and add enough calcium to raise it to 200-250. The plaster is most vulnerable the first month and you don't want aggressive water. If your CH level is 250 and you raised it to 300-350, it would not be that big of deal, but you will be doing more harm to it if it is 150.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.