Foam/suds in pool

Sep 10, 2012
Tampa, Fl.
Recently had the tile cleaned in the pool (had some scale) by a local pool store. Technician from store, apparently in a hurry simply poured 1/2 gallon of concentrate tile cleaner directly into pool and then brushed. Believe the concentrate should have been mixed with water or muriatic acid. As a result, I have had extreme foaming in my pool. Turn the spa on and foam comes over top of coping. Have had the pool store people come look at what happened and they have tried ridding the pool with anti-foam, etc, but to no avail. Do not want the pool emptied and refilled because of the high water table in the surrounding ground and afraid of pool movement. I have decided to try and solve the problem myself with all your suggestion, support and advice. The pool store that I dealt with has demonstrated their incompetence and do not feel comfortable having them continue to experiment with a "fix". My total chlorine level is 4.0PPM, Free Chlorine 4.0PPM, ph is 7.4, total alkalinity is 70ppm, calcium hardness is 285ppm, stabilizer is 100ppm, and total dissolved solids is 1900ppm. This foam,suds problem has been going on for about 5 weeks. The problem is lessening, but is there anything that I can introduce into the water to try and fix quickly. Have backwashed almost every week and added new DE.Think it helps?? Look forward to hearing from the many experts. Thanks !! (and HELP)

Bring you FC up to around 30ppm (Yep, 30ppm) and hold it there for several days. This will involve replenishing the chlorine daily to bring it back to 30ppm.

There is an excellent chance that will get rid of your foam.

What kind of "automatic chlorinator" do you have?

CYA at 100 is high...so a partial drain and fill may be in order anyhow. Do you happen to know what the active ingredient was in the product they dumped in the pool? As Dave suggested, raising FC to shock level may help oxidize whatever it is that is causing the foaming.

dmanb2b: Do not know what the active ingredient was in the product they dumped in the pool. What would cause my CYA to get so high? Any way else to reduce CYA without a partial drain?

duraleigh: Need to edit my signature. It is a Pentair Model 320, Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder. How many gallons do you estimate I dump in the pool to raise the FC to 30ppm? Also, as dmanb2b recommends, do I need to get the CYA down to about 40-50ppm before raising the FC :?:

Appreciate the post guys. Feel you have me headed in the right direction.

scionti95 said:
dmanb2b: Do not know what the active ingredient was in the product they dumped in the pool. What would cause my CYA to get so high? Any way else to reduce CYA without a partial drain?

duraleigh: Need to edit my signature. It is a Pentair Model 320, Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder. How many gallons do you estimate I dump in the pool to raise the FC to 30ppm? Also, as dmanb2b recommends, do I need to get the CYA down to about 40-50ppm before raising the FC :?:

Appreciate the post guys. Feel you have me headed in the right direction.
:laughblue: You just answered your question - you've been using trichlor tablets in a feeder! :laughblue:

Pool School is the place to be. Upper right corner.

Trichlor pucks got your CYA too high. Onloy way to get it down is to do a partial drain.

If you reduce down to 50ppm CYA, then your FC only needs to go up around 20ppm....just hold it up there until the foaming stops.

If your swim season is over, it will probably dissipate on it's own over the winter.

Richard320: I have been using the tri-chlor pucks for some time (years) on the recommendation of my local pool store (Pinch-a-Penny). In fact, I was told, raising the setting on the In-line feeder, it would help dissapate the foam/sudsing. WOW. There goes my trust of them right out the window. Just went outside, removed the remaining pucks from the feeder and shut if off.

I just found this site by accident the other evening. Am I ever glad that I did. I have been relying on the local pool store for years and frankly felt very good about their service, until this recent incident. I then realized they are good at selling products, but when a serious issue arises, they are not equipped to diagnose and correct properly. They simply do not know what to do. That is why I have taken it into my own hands, got on the net and found this forum. Thank you for the recommendation on "Pool School". I obviously need it. Just glanced at it quickly, but plan to read carefully all the excellent information.

With pool season pretty much over for us, not using any more tri-chlor pucks, keeping th FC at a high level, backwashing and adding fresh water; do you feel this problem will disappear over the winter months. We have had so much rain in Florida recently with the tropical storms, etc. the ground water table is very high and I am concerned about pool draining, partial or otherwise for fear of pool cracking. I live on the Cypress Creek Conservation area, basically swamp land for miles behind my house. Lots of water in the ground.

Drain out a quarter or so and refill it then repeat. That will reduce the CYA buildup without risking the pool floating.

And if you get a lot of rain, take advantage of it by directing a downspout to the pool. I do. I get a bunch of crud in there the first storm, but it vacuums up easy. In my case, every inch of rain equals 3" in the pool, so if they predict a couple inches, I pump it down accordingly.

Richard320 said:
And if you get a lot of rain, take advantage of it by directing a downspout to the pool. I do. I get a bunch of crud in there the first storm, but it vacuums up easy. In my case, every inch of rain equals 3" in the pool, so if they predict a couple inches, I pump it down accordingly.
Even if you dont get a lot, if it is the end of your season you have time on your hands. You can just let the rain do it's thing.

Also a sock over the end of the down pipe gathers 99% of the rubbish from entering the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.