Hayward SwimPure Shows Incorrect Salt Reading

Sep 12, 2012
Hello, I'm having an issue with my SCG. We had quite a bit of rain recently so my pool overflowed quite a bit. As expected, my salt showed low. After putting in more salt, it gradually went up. Ended up putting in 3 bags of salt. Reading from the box showed 3100 after 24 hours so thought it was good. Took a water sample to the pool place in town as I usually do every month or so and they said I had 0 chloring and my salt level was 4300. According to the manual, it should be between 2700 and 3200. Ended up cleaning the cell and filter but the salt level at my box is down to 1900 and below 2300 it won't generate chlorine. Help! Is there some way to calibrate the box so my reading is accurate? Thanks

:wave: Welcome :wave:

How old is the cell? Low salt reading is typically a sign of the cell reaching the end of its life (which is in the 3-5 year range).

Are you testing your water at home more often than the monthly visit to the pool store? I would highly suggest you get one of the recommended test kits and trust your own testing.

thanks for the fast response! The cell is less than 2 years old now. It gets cleaned regularly. No, I don't check my water at home. As I said I go to the pool store about once a month but it is more like every two or three weeks. They are just down the street so just as easy to go there. So, you are saying that the low salt reading from the box could be the cell going bad? Sure doesn't seem like it should be going bad this quickly. Is there no calibration to be done? Can I take the cell to the pool store and get it checked out?

thanks again for all your help!

The pool store should be able to check is the cell is functioning.

BTW: you can read countless threads here about the inaccuracy of the testing that is done at pool stores ... and somehow they always have something to sell you to "fix" something. We have see cases where they want to sell "pH UP" and "pH DOWN" to be used at the same time :hammer:

You will have better control over your pool if you read through Pool School (button at the upper right of the page), get your own test kit, and trust yourself instead of the guy looking to sell you stuff.

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I took the cell in to be tested and it failed. Purchased a new one and installed it. All good now. Well, it will be as soon as I drain some of the water since I put too much salt in it.

thanks to all for the assistance on this!

chas_vball

So I have the same issue, my salt system always reads low. My cell is getting up there in age, so that's likely it. When I clean my cell the salt reading goes up. What I'm essentially doing now is running the salt level high on purpose, 3900 or so, such that my electronics will be happy.

Sounds like there is no other recourse?

There is no calibration available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.