Hot tub ph problems

Jul 18, 2011
I have a 250 gallon Catalina Spa hot tub. I have a problem keeping my ph in check, seems to go over 8.2 over night. Trying to keep it at 7.5. with dry acid.
My alkalinity is at 80 ppm, calcium hardness is 230ppm. Only use diclor for sanatizer and shock. Only turn aerators and pump on when in hot tub for 15 minutes. Is giving up the fight for lower ph worth it or leaving it high going to be harmful to my equipment? Water temp is kept at 100 to 102 degrees.

Thankyou,
richardmh

If your ph continues to rise quickly you should lower your TA ... using dry acid as you mentioned you have, or muriatic acid (cheaper and found in most hardware stores). Once you have it down, you can add borates to your water to help maintain your TA & ph even further.

Lowering your TA means lowering your ph to about 7.2, let it rise w/aeration and repeat until your TA comes down. Ph will tend to drift up w/aeration especially if TA is high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.