Chlorine drop test

FAS-DPD can report false negative (so I have read) and as Bama says above the OTO test (yellow side of the Taylor K1000 test block) is very reliable for showing if you have any chlorine.

I have the TF-100 kit and it includes the Taylor K1000 test block. I did the test with that as well and I have no chlorine. My question, I guess, is more directed towards the R-0870 DPD powder. How come it doesn't change to pink (or any color) when I add it?

fordsbyjay said:
When I add my DPD powder I don't get any change in color. Is this because I have no chlorine at all? My powder was old and turned black so I ordered a new container and it does the same thing with the new powder as well.

If you added the two scoops it pretty much means chlorine is zero. Put a couple drops of bleach in the sample and see what happens.

Well ... technically you are doing something wrong and there is a problem ... not checking the FC often enough and letting it drop to zero ;)

At this point, it seems that you need to start performing the shock process ... or at least raise to shock level and perform the OCLT to determine if there are organics in the pool consuming the FC as fast as the SWG can generate it.

march2012 said:
fordsbyjay said:
When I add my DPD powder I don't get any change in color. Is this because I have no chlorine at all? My powder was old and turned black so I ordered a new container and it does the same thing with the new powder as well.

If you added the two scoops it pretty much means chlorine is zero. Put a couple drops of bleach in the sample and see what happens.

Another option if you have chlorinated tap water - drop some into the sample when you see no color change - it should immediately turn pink when you add the chlorinated tap water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.