losing lots of water :(

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
The water level has dropped from just below the top of the skimmer to just above the bottom in less than two weeks (I remember having to drain the pool after heavy rainfall early last week). The skimmer is now acting like a toilet bowl when the filter is on. The water drains completely out of the skimmer then comes back up a few seconds later, only for the process to repeat. I don't know if this is a function of the low water or fi there is something wrong with the pump. The pump basket is bubbling like what you see when you would boil water and the pressure guage is fluctuating from 10-20.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I am going to leave the filter off for the next few days to see if that stops the water level from going down anymore. I scheduled to have my pool closed for this Monday before I noticed the drop so I am worried that if there is a hole in the liner that it will drain without me knowing in.

That sounds like a leak, unless you drain the pool too far after the storms we had last week. As mona stated, the low water level is what's causing your skimmer to suck air. The water level should be roughly around 2/3 way up the skimmer. You should confirm if you have a leak or not and hopefully fix it before closing the pool for the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.