Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, I still must have a small suction side leak. Everything runs well, but there is still a small amount of air getting into the system, and it gets worse when a few leaves get into the skimmer basket. So... all of my fittings, hose clamps, etc look fine.

I'm thinking that the o-ring on the pump basket lid could need replacing. It was new as of July, but I have taken the lid on and off numerous (and I mean numerous!) times this year. Could that have caused it to degrade enough to require replacing again?

I cranked on the pump basket drain plug and it is pretty tight... unless this is a part that requires teflon tape???

Any other ideas? It is a minor problem, but now that my major problems have been solved, I can focus on the minor ones and I just have not been able to solve this one.

Yeah, no issues with that, it stays very full. I had a vortex issue a few months ago, but then I figured out there was supposed to be a door on the skimmer and that solved that.

Pauls,

I've got a similar problem, I've already tried a new lid o-ring. Mine sucks a little air until I hook up the vacuum and then within about a minute I've got no flow and the pump wet end is empty. I've tried pouring water around the hoses, the lid and the junction to the pump. But I haven't tried it with the vacuum attached yet which is my next step. If you find it post and I'll check mine for the problem. If I find mine I'll pass it on.

msgtdan said:
Pauls,

I've got a similar problem, I've already tried a new lid o-ring. Mine sucks a little air until I hook up the vacuum and then within about a minute I've got no flow and the pump wet end is empty. I've tried pouring water around the hoses, the lid and the junction to the pump. But I haven't tried it with the vacuum attached yet which is my next step. If you find it post and I'll check mine for the problem. If I find mine I'll pass it on.

I helped a friend seal his pipe joints with electrical tape when we could not locate the source. If we had been more carful we could have determined which joint was the main problem simply by watching the basket while taping.

Dan,

Will do.

Underwatervanya - that's a good idea. I have two 6 foot or so flex hoses that are joined together on the suction side, but overlap on the joining piece is pretty good and the hose clamp is as tight as I can get it. I think I will try taping each connection (skimmer, joint, and into the pump) indiviudally and see if that helps ID the problem.

If not, then is it safe to say it must be either the lid o-ring or the drain plug on the pump basket?

I did more investigating last night, I'm going to redo the pipe sealant at the pump intake hose adapter. It's original to when I got the pool and there's silicone sealant around it so somebody else thought it was a problem and the sealant peeled off pretty easily. While cupping my hand under it and pouring water around it seemed to be a little better. Didn't have time to try the vacuum as I got home late.

Used teflon tape and pipe sealant on the intake adapter and sealant on the drain plug. I can now vacuum the pool, still have air in the basket so I'll do some more looking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.