Opinions on tile and coping quote please

G

Hi all. I am an owner builder and have a question about tile cost. I have found some good information on here in regards to the breakdown of cost in certain components of building a pool yourself, but I cannot find anything that relates to the labor only cost of tile and coping. I have a 20X40 pool with 8'diameter spa. I am going to use flagstone coping and stacked stone around the spa. it is a 12" raised spa. I am also going to have stacked stone laid in 6 expansion joints in my decking, just to make the concert look a little nicer. For my water line tile I am just using the 6x6 tile like most use. I have prices out my materials but really don't know what to expect as far as labor goes. I don't know if an estimate I get is reasonable or not. Does anyone have a guess of what would be a reasonable amount ( or range) to do the stone work (coping, stacked stone spa, and stone expansion work) as well as the waterline tile. The tile is not going to be done by the same person, so I am looking for a labor only estimate for the coping sub as well as the tile sub. Can anyone offer any help. Thank you for your time.

Matt88,

I am about 3/4 complete on my owner/builder project. I have a pool similiar in size. I used standard bull nose coping instead of flagstone and used my waterline tile up around the raised planter attached to the pool. The planter is about the size of a small spa. The crew that did the work for me installed both the coping and tile. I believe this is standard for the same crew to do both. I'm not sure why you would want to separate the coping sub from the tile sub. These guys usually do both in the same package and the setup of one relies on the other being correct. I wouldn't want to be the second crew there and rely on another's work to make mine look good or bad.

My labor only cost for the package (brick coping and tile) for the pool and 18" raised planter was $3200. You can take a look at my build via the link in my signature. I'm a little behind in posting pics right now but it is updated to the tile/coping job. I'll be updating my build post by tomorrow sometime as I've made alot of progress since then.

Hope this helps a little. What region of the country are you in? This may make a difference too.

Jim

opinions on tile and coping quote please.

Thanks for the reply. I got a quote of $2000 to do the flagstone coping and stacked stone spa, and a quote of $1000 for the tile line on the pool and spa. (labor only for all) Does this sound within normal limits? The reson 2 different people are doing it is becasue the man that does the stonework only does stonework and does not want to mess with the tile work on the pool. He tsays very busy with just doing the stonework and that is what he likes to do. Thanks again. Pool is 20X40 rectangular . spa is 8'diameter, and raised 12".

That sounds reasonable to me. Just make sure that he re-levels the pool when he installs the mortar base on your bond beam. The tile/coping guys usually use a laser level or transit(sp?) to shoot in the pool bond beam height and make any small adjustments when they lay the mortar bed for the coping. The tile is then installed under the newly leveled coping/bond beam. If he has done pool work before he should know this, but I would make a point of discussing it with him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.