Filter pressure increases in spa mode

Sep 10, 2012
Tampa, Fl.
When operating in the pool mode, my Hayward filter reads 18 lbs pressure. When I change over to the spa mode, same number of returns, the pressure increases to 30 lbs. Have good pressure on the spa returns. Is this normal:?: Hope to hear from some of the experts on this site. Thanks !!

Are the eyeball exits in the spa smaller than the ones in the pool? That would result in higher pressure.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle: The spa return jets are smaller than those in the pool. So I thought your suggestion solved my concern. So I removed them and turned on the spa. Pressure still remains at 30lbs. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, looks like it may have gone up 1 lb. This is a brand new guage as of two weeks ago. Thought about a partially closed valve, but the pressure seems okay. Have electric operated valves (Jandy- Aqua Link). Don't know where to look next. Thanks for all your help in working with me on my concern.

I see a difference in pressure when I switch things around. Not as much as you see, but a difference. I've always chalked it up to much shorter pipe runs on the intake side. Conversely, when I am vacuuming, I show much lower pressure because I am drawing through a longer run with a smaller diameter.

Spas will usually run at higher pressure because of the spa jets because of the small small (3/8") nozzles. You may have just removed the outer eyeballs which would not affect the pressure much but if you remove the nozzles, then that should impact the pressure. How may jets do you have and do you know the nozzle size? Also, what is the size/model of your pump?

Richard320: Good information. Thanks for the post. Will check on pressure when vacuuming next time.

mas985: (Four) Eyeball openings on my spa returns are 3/4". Not sure what you mean when referring to nozzles? Eyeballs are held in place by threaded "O" ring. Pump is 1 1/2 HP made by A.O. Smith. Model #: C48L2N134B1. Appreciate your willingness to assist. I have had pools at three different homes since the late 70's, but only found your forum last evening. Had
the filter cleaned about a week ago by a local pool supply store and the guy they sent out raised some red flags. Did something to cause the pressure guage to blow off the release valve. They had to replace the entire release valve and guage. Thus the reason for monitoring the guage so closely. Wondered if they had caused other problems. All of your assistance has been invaluable.

The exterior fittings are called eyeballs and that is what you are removing. The nozzles are deep inside the spa return pipe and the only way to see them is to lower the water level so you can look inside the return pipe with the eyeball removed. The nozzles are what give the jets their strength and what cause the pressure to rise.

Also, A.O. Smith makes the motor not the pump and the number you gave is for the motor. If you are interested in identifying the pump, then post a picture.

But just based on the motor size, that is a fairly big pump to have for only 4 jets and probably why the pressure is so high. Do the jets feel really strong too?

mas985: Sorry for the wrong model #. The pump is a Hayward Super II model # SP3010X15AZ. The pressure from the four jets is quite strong.

As a sidebar item, I checked with my neighbor whose pool was built by the same pool builder about 9 months after ours was built. He has the same equipment and told me he runs 20lbs in the pool vs 36lbs for his spa. His is a salt pool, mine is straight liquid chlorine. Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I would add the information. In that they both have this pressure jump, can I assume this is normal :?: :?: :?: Thank you again for all your support. It is greatly appreciated.

scionti95 said:
mas985: Sorry for the wrong model #. The pump is a Hayward Super II model # SP3010X15AZ. The pressure from the four jets is quite strong.

As a sidebar item, I checked with my neighbor whose pool was built by the same pool builder about 9 months after ours was built. He has the same equipment and told me he runs 20lbs in the pool vs 36lbs for his spa. His is a salt pool, mine is straight liquid chlorine. Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I would add the information. In that they both have this pressure jump, can I assume this is normal :?: :?: :?: Thank you again for all your support. It is greatly appreciated.

His pressure rise is even higher proportionally than yours. 30/18 = 1.66; 36/20 = 1.8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your neighbor must have a much bigger pump then you.

Ok, on to the pump, 30 PSI is around 70' of head and the Super II should produce about 50 GPM at that flow rate so each jet would have about 12.5 GPM. Depending on the jet size, that would produce decent but not over powering jets.

Another questions, what size pipe is being used to and from the spa and how long is the run to the pump?

Just based on the pressure, I suspect the PB used smaller pipe (2"?) or the runs are real long.

mas985: It is 2" pipe the PB used with a run of approximately 40' from the drain of the spa to the pump and filter. House and pool was built 2005-006 when the building craze was going on in Florida. Contractors hired anybody with a pulse, so the workmanship was less than desirable. Who knows what size piping is buried and out of sight. My home was one of those spec homes with a pool package etc., where it was already built with a price tag.
All that being said, what are your thoughts on my set up and equipment. Will probably be in the house for some time and will need to make some upgrades as necessary. Pool is kidney shaped with approximately 13,000 gal. Was this a questionable pool package with deficiencies that I bought with the house? My feelings certainly would not be hurt. Just want to get this all moving in the right direction. Appreciate all your help. I am a good caretaker of my pool, but just do not have much knowledge of sizing and matching equipment. That is also one of the reasons I joined this forum to gain knowledge. Thanks !!

I can't really comment on your setup because I don't know what you have (hint hint, fill out your signature with your equipment and setup).

But in general, there seem to be a lot of PBs who really don't understand hydraulics very well and end up designing poor performing spas. If your spa had been designed properly, the pressure would not be as high and you might also be able to get away with a smaller pump. But if you are satisfied with the performance, I wouldn't change anything.

mas985: As a new member, I feel very privileged to have become a part of a great group of guys with a tremendous knowledge of pools and their operation. Each of you have been invaluable in providing both knowledge and insite. Would like to add to my signature with your suggestions, but cannot find the area under profile. Can you assist again? As for being satisfied, I guess I am, but with so little knowledge, I also don't know any better. You guys are going to be a great asset in my learning curve. Plan to stay active on the forum, so any advice given is always greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.