Need Advise on rebuild or replace 2.5 HP Northstar Hayward

Hi,

First, thanks for all that reads this post...

I have a commercial pool (13 vacation rental units use it) in FL, used 24/7 year round. It has a drip edge, about 40K gallons, surge tank, 2.5 inch pipe to the pump (very old). The pump is a Hayward SP4020X25NS 2.5 HP Northstar pump about 8-9 years old. I just heard a high pitch screeching noise, not sure if it is the motor or pump. My initial guess is the motor. I just got back form a local distributor I use. New Tristar 2 HP unit $768, 3 HP $967, online prices about 25% less counting shipping and no tax. Motor only $378 local and about $300 online.

Is it time to replace the whole thing? Impeller? Motor? Impeller and Motor? Another type or MFG? As anyone in business, I want to keep the cost low. If a complete replacement, should it be 2 or 3 HP? Seasoned veterans please chime in :cool:

I am not overly concerned about utility bills, but it can't be overlooked. Overall maximum quality is a bigger priority.

You can see the pool at www.venicebeachvillas.com/photos/vp/page/image1.html

Thanks and Thanks again,

-Kevin

Re: Need Advise on rebuild or replace 2.5 HP Northstar Haywa

Screeching sound is indicative of bad bearings. If the pump is in good shape otherwise I'd take it to an electric motor repair shop and have them replace the bearings and seal. it should last another several years if you do that. An 8 to 9 year old pump isn't really very old. There are 30 year old pumps still running.

Re: Need Advise on rebuild or replace 2.5 HP Northstar Haywa

Sorry about not posting earlier on my outcome. I decided to get a a new motor which was a monster to install due to the entire pump / motor heated up due to the motor eventually ceasing up. Getting the impeller off was a bear, almost melted on. The impeller was damaged getting it off, but I still used it (my dist. was out of stock at the time it ceased). After installing the new impeller it is running smooth. I am starting to think an Intelliflo type unit my save electricity. The unit needs to run 23/7 365.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.