Size matters?

quinn

May 5, 2011
The wife and I have been having some constructive debate over the size of our next pool. We learned two things at the old house. 1. More is better when it comes to deck and gathering area around the pool. 2. Our 16 x 32 free form felt small when the rest of the family came over (5kids, 5 adults). I think the decking is solved, we'll have around 600sqft of covered patio and around 750-800sqft of uncovered deck. My question is about the pool size. We plan to do a rectangular pool she wants 20 x 40, I feel that is overkill. I want something smaller perhaps 18 x 32. What has worked for others? Space is not an issue. The home is new construction to be built at the same time as the pool, our lot is 1.23 acres and the general pool area is at least 100' from the back of the lot and 150' from the far side with home and garage buffering the near sides. I want enough room that everyone can use the pool together. I realize this is a very subjective question but I appreciate learning from the collective experience of the group. What size was too small? How much was too much therefore a poor use of your money? I just want to be Goldie Locks.

I'm just speaking from what I have so take that as you will. I have an 18' pool and that just seems to narrow to me even if it was twice as long. I personally would go with the 20'x40', that way if everyone wants to gather in the shallow end it still wouldn't feel crowded. Also since you are building the house I would assume you will be there awhile...I've never heard anyone wish they got a smaller pool. :p

Might also get a quote for two different sizes and see if that changes the decision.

Good stuff, to be clear the free form was 16' at it's widest but likely 13'-14' wide on average. Money wasn't a concern when the plan started but scope creep on the house itself has me trying to be sensible. I will lean towards bigger is better. Anybody in that 18'x 32-36' range want to weigh in about your pool?

My pool has about 2500' of decking and is 25 x 52. Is it too large? Absolutely not.

Is it twice as hard to maintain as a pool half the size? Absolutely

EVERYTHING is harder. A cover that size is to unwieldy. Chemistry costs are double. etc. etc.

As I was reading your original post I was thinking the same thing that PAGirl said. So, I would go with the bigger size, especially if you plan to have friends over much.

Also, one thing that helped me when we were planning out our pool area was to lay out some string where you think you want things to be with the approximate size you are anticipating... sometimes it helps to get a visual so you can see the scope of the project.

I have a 16x32 grecian shaped pool (rectangle with angled corners).
During the summer we have weekly swim parties with the family, both sides. It's about half adults/half kids (roughly about 25 people). The adults and young kids gather in the shallow end which isn't that big, but the older kids tend to stay swim in the deep end. We find the shallow area to be cramped when the majority of the quests are in the pool. But when it's just my wife/son and I, it's plenty big for us.

I find a lot of people liek gathering/hanging out in the shallow end. Which is why when I have to re-do my decking (in about 15+ years) i'm going to look into coverting my pool into an L shape. More shallow end for gathering/games, and the deep end for diving.swimming.

If cost and space are not an issue, going bigger is probably better. But you have to consider how often you're going to have people over to justify the extra cost of building and mainting the larger pool.

Just a side note:
We had a welcome home party for my brother-in-law when he got back from serving. We had well over 50 people there. We did fine with what we had. Cramped at times, yes. Complaints, no.
Thread

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have 16x32 and find it perfect. It's only 5.75 deep, so chemical costs are lower, and adults who don't swim well aren't afraid of the deep end.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

When I was young my parents had a 20x40. It was a great size for having family visit. I like the L shape, since I agree that a lot of time is spent in the shallow end by most people.

42 x 16 x 24 looks like a great size.
Not sure of the size, but this one is very nice as well.

Whenever the time is right and I can finally get an in-ground, it will probably be 18x36 since we won't often have that many people over.

Westside, it looks to me like we have twin pools!
However, the poolbuilder/maintenance guy who checked the equipment when we bought the house last year told me mine was an extented grecian, meaning 35' -- but from your pic, it seriously looks identical, so maybe he was wrong ;) Mine's also supposed to be 23k gal...so maybe there is a slight difference or a deeper diving well, etc. Our shallow end is miniscule.

Quinn, do you intend to use your pool for exercise, eg. laps? If so, go 40 -- or 50! ;) Mine is way too short for a bonafide swim workout for a 'real' athlete. Fortunately I'm just a floating-with-my-marguerita type o gal ;)

But if I HAD a 40-50 foot pool, there are a few of my friends who are "real" swimmers (Triathletes, actually) who would likely drop by more for a workout visit!

8corneflakes said:
we DIYed our own 20x40. Everytime we talk about the journey, my husband says, "our next pool is gonna be 25x50". Oh, and he says he would have gone to 10 foot deep. Bigger must be better!

I agree with this, even tough I doubt I'll ever have the chance to build another.. Especially with a deep end the extra length is good, of course to keep a balanced look the width goes up with length.

I went through the same questions, starting with 16' x 32', considering 18' x 36', then building it at 20' x 40', its not too big. That said I have a very large area so the pool doesn't look out of place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.