Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I've been mostly happy with my Polaris 380 since getting it. I got a deal on it ($50 craigslist - NEW but old stock) and already had a booster plumbed into the pool so it was pretty much a given I'd try it.

For the most part my only complaints are that the thing gets stuck - a lot. The curved corners of the pool are like sticky paper is to mice to this cleaner. The thing goes into the corner and sits there. Eventually the backup valve fires and pulls it out sometimes only to go right back. But the real problems are the stairs and the ladder. The stairs are fiberglass and stick out past the edges of the pool - they join to the pool with a large gasket/welt and this is at just the right height across the front of the stairs to allow the wheel to jam under it slightly. Sometimes more than one backup cycle passes without the cleaner extracting itself. The ladder is less of an issue - twice it has caught the cleaner - one time it was in the middle of diving back down and the main jet sprayed water out of the pool for over an hour before I stopped by to check on things!

The only other complaint is that we have a tulip poplar near the pool and many of those leaves are too big for the cleaner.

Any ideas on how to keep the cleaner from getting stuck on the stairs? I know that they make a ladder guard - but the problems on the ladder have been few an far between. Do the tank tracks available on the 280 help?

You might try experimenting with the position of the nozzle underneath the tail whip.
You can also experiment with the speed by adjusting the amount of water running through the tail whip, or changing the restricter plate at the pressure relief valve.

Qwaxalot said:
You might try experimenting with the position of the nozzle underneath the tail whip.
You can also experiment with the speed by adjusting the amount of water running through the tail whip, or changing the restricter plate at the pressure relief valve.

The nozzle part I have played with a lot. I have tried just about everything mostly concentrating on things between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock with a bias towards 11 to 2. Nothing seems to fix the stairs issue - but that's a rarer event. Switching from 11 to 2 gives the opposite corner a chance to be the trap.

The tail whip seems dead on but I can try adjusting. I have the blue disc in - no red disc came with the unit but I could order one. I can also try without a disc but my experience with that is that it was too fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.