How long should I run the pump/filter?

lulupalooza

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Evans, GA
My apologies if this has been posted recently as I think it has, but can not locate the post/thread. But approx how long should I be running the pump/filter each day? So far its been running almost 24 hours. Since its a new set up/fill and I am just adding chems. Do I need to keep it running or can I say shut it off at night and then cut back on in the morning?

TYIA

How long you need to run the pump depends on the relative size of the pool and pump and is tricky to calculate. It is usually much simpler to try out various run times and see how the water looks. 12 hours a day is a good place to start and then adjust up or down from there depending on how the water looks.

You'll get lots of different answers on this one!

Every pool is different. For our pool, we run our pump appx 3 hrs in the morn and 3 hrs in the eve. (Average 6 to 8 hrs per day).

Doing what Jason suggested, starting with 12 hours and adjusting from there is a good way to go. Then you'll find what works for your pool.

btw, our pool water sparkles!

Happy swimming :-D

There are many different criteria for what times of day are best to run the pump and they tend to contradict each other to some extent. In the end any choice is a compromise between different factors.

Some of the issues to keep in mind include:
* Running at night costs less if you have time of day based electric pricing
* Running during the day is best for solar heating
* Running during two or three different periods spread across the day/night is better for maintaining circulation
* Users of a SWG or Liquidator are slightly better off running when there is direct sunlight on the pool
* Many people prefer to have the pump running when they are swimming
* Running at night, particularly with jets/fountains/waterfalls going can help cool the pool in hot climates

Good point, Waterbug.

Some folks run at night because of the better elec price.

Some run at night during the heat of summer because they want to cool their water.

We run morn and eve and sometimes all during the day when I forget to turn off the pump.

However, we never run at night. DH just won't do it! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.