Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've noticed my wall steps have been going green for well over a month, maybe two but I haven't moved to act because the pool itself keeps testing perfectly.

What's the right course of action here, does it mean I have to shock the entire pool? Is there a way to just treat the stairs only? In the past if my stairs started going green then the whole pool would follow but not in this case.

Thx.

Re: Steps on wall stairs going green but pool chemistry test

Bama Rambler said:
Have you ran an OCLT? That's the first thing I'd do if something didn't seem right.

Does the green easily brush off?

It does not brush off, I haven't run the OCLT recently but when I first noticed the green I did check my FC first thing in the morning and there was FC but I wasn't really measuring that up against anything, I'll try that.

If it doesn't brush off it's most likely not algae. It's likely staining. try taking a trichlor tablet and hold on it for a little while and if that doesn't work, take some crushed vitamin C tablets in a sock and hold on it. If the trichlor lightens it, it's an organic stain and if the vitamin C lightens it it's metals.

Bama Rambler said:
If it doesn't brush off it's most likely not algae. It's likely staining. try taking a trichlor tablet and hold on it for a little while and if that doesn't work, take some crushed vitamin C tablets in a sock and hold on it. If the trichlor lightens it, it's an organic stain and if the vitamin C lightens it it's metals.

Is crushed vitamin C sold under a chemical name or general product at the pool store by any chance?

Pretty sure you can just buy some vitamin C tablets from the pharmacy and crush them up yourself ... or rub them on the stain.

It is really ascorbic acid which is what you would buy if you were going to treat the entire pool.

jblizzle said:
Pretty sure you can just buy some vitamin C tablets from the pharmacy and crush them up yourself ... or rub them on the stain.

It is really ascorbic acid which is what you would buy if you were going to treat the entire pool.

Digging up and old post.

Since I do have some orange rust like staining on both pool stairs and green stains on ladder, I would like to treat the entire pool.

Is Ascorbic Acid sold in different concentrations? Under different names? How is it applied?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.