Another happy peristaltic pump injector

cwuffman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
First, everything we do is based on foundations built by others. So thanks to Bama Rambler, ChiknNutz, roadking00, gujjuman & others from previous posts who blazed trails and made my decisions easier.

Based on the above input I decided I would get a fixed speed Stenner 10 gpd pump because there would be less mechanical parts to maintain and more efficient operation. That meant some type of timer was in order. I hoped to control the pump from my Jandy power center, but found that it was maxed out on device capacity. So I settled for an outdoor digital timer from Ace Hardware. Costs so far:

45MPHP10 - Stenner Pump Total (with shipping):......$219.98
15 Gallon Plastic Drum Total:..............................$26.98
Digital timer (approximate):.............................. $15.00
...............................................................$261.96

The pump install is incredibly easy since Stenner includes tubing, fittings and check valve (plus a spare pump tube). The check valve assembly also has both 1/4" and 1/2" male pipe threads. Rather than drill a new hole in piping, I decided to utilise the secondary water inlet to the out of service "chlorinator". The electrical install is still a bit sloppy but I will later add an additional outlet near the stenner pump. But it will work fine for now. Here are a few pictures.

Overview
20120908190348.jpg

Inject point
20120908190512.jpg

Stenner pump and drum
20120908190317.jpg

Timer
20120908190327.jpg

cwuffman said:
Hi Greg,

It's the high pressure. As I understand it, the high pressure pumps include the check valve assembly. Purchased from Locke Well & Pump Co., here http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_6

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl. :)

You have the same Pentair 320 that I do, so I am just going to set mine up to go in through that just like you did. Great pics and great info thanks again.

Greg

Thanks Carl!

I've been away from this site for the summer because A. My pool has been trouble free and we were enjoying the heck out of it and B. I've taken up home brewing as a new hobby and there's a huge world of info to get immersed in - I'm loving it!!! Cheers! :cheers:

Good News - Bad News!

Good news: The pump works great. 10 GPD equates to 1 quart in 36 minutes. I actually timed a quart at 35 minutes. That's good enough for me.

One question for those that are more familiar with peristaltic pumps: do they consistently deliver the same quantity over the life of the pump tube?

Bad news: The digital timer was very easy to program, and had the ability to turn off and on 20 times per day. Only problem is it seems to like to reset itself to default rather frequently for no known reason. I exchanged the first one only to have the second one do the same. So, back to the drawing board. There are a lot of options here so it shouldn't be a major setback.

cwuffman said:
Good News - Bad News!

Good news: The pump works great. 10 GPD equates to 1 quart in 36 minutes. I actually timed a quart at 35 minutes. That's good enough for me.

One question for those that are more familiar with peristaltic pumps: do they consistently deliver the same quantity over the life of the pump tube?

Bad news: The digital timer was very easy to program, and had the ability to turn off and on 20 times per day. Only problem is it seems to like to reset itself to default rather frequently for no known reason. I exchanged the first one only to have the second one do the same. So, back to the drawing board. There are a lot of options here so it shouldn't be a major setback.

I used a mechanical timer with push buttons to signal when the pump should go on and off (I think it has 48 buttons for 30 minute increments). The plus side is if I want I can have has many on off pulses as I want. The downside is that the minimum increment is 30 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cwuffman said:
Pretty much. As it starts losing elasticity it starts delivering a little less but that's pretty close to the end of life of the tube so it isn't a real issue.

The only thing I don't like about the HB800 timer is that the backup batteries are LR-44's and they don't last very long and the way they're installed they don't always make good contact. It's not a problem unless you're in an area that's prone to power outages.

The tube usually gets stiff and stops conforming to the rollers. It starts looking like a horseshoe rather than a rounded triangle. I've had very few ruptures. Even when it does rupture, it usually just leaks out a few drops and just quits pumping. The best preventative maintenance is to replace it every year.

Bama Rambler said:
The only thing I don't like about the HB800 timer is that the backup batteries are LR-44's and they don't last very long and the way they're installed they don't always make good contact. It's not a problem unless you're in an area that's prone to power outages.

Yeah it seems to me that AAAs or AAs would have been a better choice. :(

march2012 said:
roadking00 said:
I was thinking about trying one of these next year for simplicity and its fairly inexpensive too...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AY3OZ4/ref=aw_ls__4?colid=33HCT523XKHDH&coliid=I2S0VLUHY4BW6Q

My timer works the same way, but is an outdoor timer so it is shielded from rain with a cover. If the one you posted is outdoors I would be worried about it getting wet.

Fortunatly i have a pump house that keeps all my equipment dry, so you have that same type of timer but just a weather proof one? How do you like it for this application? ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.