SWG sizing question

FTC3

Jul 7, 2012
Las Vegas
I know this is a tired thread but the ones I've seen are for smaller pools.

If I have been reading correctly, I need to size the chlorine generator 2x times the size of the pool. Is that right? If so, what are others doing with pools over 45k? What SWG options are available for my size pool?

I was thinking of a liquidator but hauling chlorine is not my idea of enjoying the pool. Maybe run the liquidator to supplement the SWG? That way liquid chlorine usage would be minimal.

I've read the downside to the IC60 without having the easy touch. I'm not sure the compupool cpsc48 or the IC60 can keep up anyway?

Thanks for the advice!

At some point the pool is large enough that you would have to consider running two SWGs systems. The reason we say to over size is to prolong the cell life. But running one sized for a 60k pool might still be cheaper long run than having 2 setups.

The ratings can be misleading and you need to look at the actual amount of chlorine that can be generated. Although there was a thread I saw that stated that some of the manufacturer ratings were very optimistic, so not sure what info you can trust.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense to base it on chlorine demand instead of pool size.

If the IC60 can produce 2.0 lbs of chlorine in 24 hrs, would it produce 1.0 lb of chlorine running the pump 12 hrs? And is that running the cell 100% as well? Does volume of water affect output? I.e. variable speed pump on medium versus full speed.

I've narrowed down a SWG to either the IC-60 or the CPSC48. They are both supposed to be for up to a 60k pool. The IC-60 is rated at 2.0 lbs versus the 2.5 lbs for the CPSC48. I did read though the CPSC48 has an adjusted output based on the NSF certification of 1.51 lbs.

Any feedback from CPSC48 owners with real world experience of chlorine output? I'm guessing thats hard to know...

For what it's worth, before I installed my SWG, I was adding about 96 oz 6% bleach each day to maintain the right FC level. According to Pool Calculator, this is about equivalent to 6.1 oz chlorine gas.

With my CPSC48, I was running 12 hours per day, at 60%. Given 2.4lb/day max output (38.4 oz), my SWG should have been making

38.4 * 12/24 * 60% = 11.5 oz chlorine gas

This tells me mathematically that using the SWG at those settings, I should have been seeing my FC rise everyday - but that didn't happen.

This can be accounted for in several ways:
1. Salt concentration not optimal (my pool is about 3600)
2. 60% doesn't really mean 60% (see my other post interesting-compupool-test-t51580.html )
3. 2.4 lb/day is overstated
4. My cell isn't producing like it should be (build up or bad plate)
5. My math is wrong somewhere

I'd be curious to see Bobodaclown's operational data and compare that to the amount of bleach he was using while waiting for parts. Maybe there's some correlation that could be drawn with another set of data points.

Somewhere I saw something Chem Geek posted about solid chlorine and liquid chlorine and how they compared to gaseous chlorine and there was some subtle nuance to how gaseous chlorine converted to FC in a pool that I can't recall right now.

The calculations were done correctly. The 96 fluid ounces of 6% bleach in 25,000 gallons is equivalent to 6.2 ounces weight of chlorine gas. Using The Pool Calculator is fine for doing that conversion. There's no need to get FC involved in this since one is simply comparing two different chlorine sources both producing the same FC in the same volume of water, but the actual FC or volume are not relevant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
The calculations were done correctly. The 96 fluid ounces of 6% bleach in 25,000 gallons is equivalent to 6.2 ounces weight of chlorine gas. Using The Pool Calculator is fine for doing that conversion. There's no need to get FC involved in this since one is simply comparing two different chlorine sources both producing the same FC in the same volume of water, but the actual FC or volume are not relevant.
Thanks for the clarification.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I've narrowed down a SWG to either the IC-60 or the CPSC48. They are both supposed to be for up to a 60k pool. The IC-60 is rated at 2.0 lbs versus the 2.5 lbs for the CPSC48. I did read though the CPSC48 has an adjusted output based on the NSF certification of 1.51 lbs.

AutoPilot's CC-15 cell is NSF rated at 2.5 lbs. per day also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.