Help with Balancing - Again...

Jul 18, 2012
Hi everyone...

I've been balancing through pool calculator for the past month and everything's been generally fine...no algae or cloudiness, but the water seems a bit harsh and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or missing something:

Here are my numbers via Taylor 2006 Test:

FC= 1.8 (I know this is low, and I need to shock up)
CC= 0
PH= 8.0 (I know this is high, need to add Muriatic Acid)
TA= 100
CH= 100
CYA= 60

So here's my question: I haven't added any borax to the pool since I first started using BBB method. Clearly my Ph has remained high...And I've never added any baking soda either. It seems like my numbers have always been in the ballpark, and the only daily dumps are bleach...and that's it.

I assume this is ok?

One thing about pool calculator that I can't figure out is the borate section. How do I even test for Borate? Isn't that the same thing as the PH test?

Thanks for your help!
L.

number419 said:
Hi everyone...

I've been balancing through pool calculator for the past month and everything's been generally fine...no algae or cloudiness, but the water seems a bit harsh and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or missing something:

Here are my numbers via Taylor 2006 Test:

FC= 1.8 (I know this is low, and I need to shock up)
Yes, it is low! With your CYA of 60, FC should be maintained between 5 & 9 and never below 5.
CC= 0
PH= 8.0 (I know this is high, need to add Muriatic Acid)
Each time the pH hits 7.8, lower it back to about 7.4.
TA= 100
CH= 100
CYA= 60

So here's my question: I haven't added any borax to the pool since I first started using BBB method. Clearly my Ph has remained high...And I've never added any baking soda either. It seems like my numbers have always been in the ballpark, and the only daily dumps are bleach...and that's it.

I assume this is ok?
You #'s, CYA, CH & TA are fine as long as you maintain the FC & pH!

One thing about pool calculator that I can't figure out is the borate section. How do I even test for Borate?
You would use borate test strips, but if you have not added borates, you have no need to test for them.

Isn't that the same thing as the PH test? Nope. Not at all. You can read about borates in Pool School.

Thanks for your help!
L.

Ok, thanks for all you help!
I guess other than letting the FC get so low, I'm doing everything else fine. I'll shock it tomorrow...
I'll read up about borates so I can better understand it...
Thanks again!

Let's make sure you're using terminology correctly... No need to "shock," which is the process required to clear a dirty pool. All you're doing is adding a maintenance dose of chlorine to get back into your normal range. (BTW, you should be adding a maintenance dose every 1-2 days, and never ever let that FC number get below 5)

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.